Mobileread
Ask an e-book creator...(how do they do it)?
#11  DaleDe 10-27-2011, 11:19 PM
? Use the export to mobi option available from the tool

#12  VandaSue 10-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Hi,

My name is VandaSue. I have finally jumped most of the hurdles of my first ebook; solving two of the three issues of the upload/validation process. Now, I receive this error:

ERROR ITMS-9000: "OEBPS/content.opf(17): element "metadata" incomplete; missing required element "dc:language"" at Book (MZItmspBookPac

Of course, this is incomplete error message, but all that I can copy right now. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what is going on?? The thought that came to me is that this is a 32 page book of Illustrator files; embedded into ID. (btw, congrats for whomever but in the spell check here) So, there is no text! Not a single line of text. It is all images, or as stated AI files. Is this the issue? Producer cannot find any English, thus stumbling to find some? Perhaps I can put a small period somewhere on my first page?? That might satisfy? Or is that the problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

VandaSue

#13  DaleDe 10-30-2011, 01:18 AM
It is complaining about an entry in the content.opf file, not any of your data files. ePub requires that you declare the language of the ePub file and this is missing in your file. Add that entry and it should be ok. If there is no language in the file then declare the language of the title.

Dale

#14  Jellby 10-30-2011, 04:05 AM
Quote DaleDe
If there is no language in the file then declare the language of the title.
Or use one of these:

und (for undetermined) is used in situations in which a language or languages must be indicated but the language cannot be identified.
zxx is listed in the code list as "no linguistic content"

#15  VandaSue 10-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the earlier answers. OK. New to this. I have not used code in years. However, where do I find the code that is created by InDesign when it is being validated by the iTunes Producer? I get my error message and I would like to correct it. However, I cannot find the code, other than the code that is visible in the box provided by iTunes in the validation box with the error message.

I have seen others suggest that I create my own files folders, such as: meta-inf, and contents. However, I believed that using the export in ID was going to do this when it created the ePub and when I uploaded into iTunes? Pipedream here??

I simply need to correct the language in my code, or so my error message states. Hopefully, I have managed to get by with the other messages that first appeared and correct them. I would like to upload my book by tomorrow.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge here. I will be reading up on code, you can believe me. I have several other books to place here, so have to do this on my own. Tired of publishers.

Thanks,

VandaSue

#16  VandaSue 10-31-2011, 07:36 AM
Finally, discovered where and how to get to the meta data. Whew. Who would ever guess that it was lurking inside of the epub as a hidden zip file? Have to rename the file as a zip, and then unzip it to get to the goodies. Now to try to do some editing. Right. That should be fun. Maybe I will get it. HOURS of reading, reading and reading and scouring the net, but heck, I have a bit more info under my belt now.

#17  VandaSue 10-31-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah!!! Got my book on iTunes. Now to wait until iTunes does their thing. I am very pleased, and going to treat myself to a well earned dinner. Up all night watching videos, etc., and finally learned some of the code that I had forgotten. Need a huge refresher course.

Suggestions for a nice ebook that would do the trick, without a lot of fanfare? By that, I mean simple code, basic stuff, anything one would need for iTunes. Thanks.

#18  dwma 01-24-2013, 03:04 PM
I got stuck on this "missing required element "dc:language"" error too. I am posting my solution for anyone who may find this thread. I create epubs from InDesign on a Mac and got this error when uploading through iTunes Producer.

Here's what you do on a Mac:

1) Download Springy from springyarchiver.com. Open Springy, and go to File > Open.

2) Locate your epub file and click the Open button.

3) You will see a small file menu. Go to the OEBPS folder and you'll see the content.opf file. Double click it to open with TextEdit.

4) Add the code <dc:language>English</dc:language> within the list at the top. I don't think it matters where (but maybe it does). Close the file without saving.

5) Springy will then ask if you wish "Overwrite the item in archive." Click Yes.

6) Close Springy.

Congrats, you've just edited your metadata! Your epub should be all set for upload to iTunes Producer.

Derrick

#19  Jellby 01-25-2013, 04:18 AM
I'm not sure "English" is correct, you should use the ISO code "en" instead.

#20  raychard 04-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Hi, Newbie I am here. I formatted my WS Doc following the 1st video on the Carry On Books front page. And everything seemed to go well.
Then I downloaded Sigil and tried to open the HTML file I had just created. I received this message
"(name of book() line 2463: expected comment or CDATA section.
Try setting the Clean Source pref to Pretty Print or HTML Tidy and reloading the file."

This I did but still not able to load the file.

Hope you can help.
Thanks in advnce.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register