Mobileread
Multiple ends
#11  Quoth 10-27-2019, 08:57 AM
More experiments
Link to ch2 in the book:
If ch2 file is is removed from <spine toc="ncx"> list it can't be reached from TOC or a link. You get an error even though it's still in <manifest>
The playOrder in TOC doesn't seem to do anything.
Page Next at the end of a file/chapter simply loads the next item listed in <spine toc="ncx">

#12  Quoth 10-27-2019, 09:12 AM
So this is why people looked at linear="no"
RE: Items listed in <spine toc="ncx">
While not required, you can add the attribute linear="no" to any of the itemref elements. This means that the section will be skipped if the reader is paging through the eBook. However, you can permit access to the content by creating a hyperlink. This may be a useful feature if you want to create an educational eBook with hidden answer keys.
Except it only works in some epub3 renderers, so useless
The example link in the paragraph above is dead.
https://github.com/krisztianmukli/epub-boilerplate/wiki/The-content.opf-File

So it looks like that you can only duplicate a printed "Plot your own adventure", replacing "Goto page <nnn>" with a link on the choice text.
Not a big deal.

P.S. No need to remove any item for Kindle as suggested in link above if the epub is being uploaded to Amazon or converted by Calibre. At least now, anyway. Amazon and Calibre conversions from decent epub2 to old mobi, azw3/kf8 and kfx are perfect.

#13  Quoth 10-27-2019, 09:33 AM
So basically though linear="no" is in epub2 spec no commonly owned physical ereader or commonly used iOS or Android app actually uses it, as per the 2017 thread.

It's irrelevant if Nook or Kobo supports it tomorrow. Most users won't have it. Readium is almost irrelevant market share.

So don't use
Code
 <itemref idref="c1-answerkey" linear="no"/>

#14  JSWolf 10-27-2019, 11:29 AM
There could be another problem. If the link doesn't land on the page you cannot move away from, you're screwed. And are you sure you can make the links land on the page you want? If someone changes the text size to be large or is reading on a small screen with large enough text.

So really, this is also a bad idea to make the pages stick.

#15  Quoth 10-27-2019, 12:16 PM
Quote JSWolf
... If the link doesn't land on the page you cannot move away from, you're screwed. And are you sure you can make the links land on the page you want? If someone changes the text size to be large or is reading on a small screen with large enough text.
So really, this is also a bad idea to make the pages stick.
I agree, there is no way to do this on epub, so I've abandoned the idea utterly. Also my goal in ebook generation is that the epub2 and and azw3/KF8 should look very similar and be similar to WYSIWG formatted on a small page in the wordprocessor done with no content incompatible to an ebook. I also check that the book is "sane" on a basic mobi viewer & ereader, without publisher font enabled (if that's an option). I check on Kindle, Kobos, Nook, Sony PRS350, Calibre Viewer and various apps on Android phone, Android Tablet and Windows tablet.

This particular project isn't a standalone ebook at all, but an additional complementary way to access the text for the map board game (a large ring bound book so that a double page spread map lies flat for counters/avatars). The text will be in ONE copy of a paperback, printed like a conventional "Plot your own adventure" except there is random access into it from the map location. The choices also have map board related actions and dice throws.

However sometimes there are links internal to an ebook and also to the Internet (where HW & SW of ereader & app support Internet). It's part of quality control to test that ALL links work. Also an anchor for a link to jump to should only be at the start of a paragraph in the original document for maximum conversion compatibility.

I don't see how text and screen size affect properly constructed links and anchors? Maybe I'm not understanding.

#16  JSWolf 10-27-2019, 02:15 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
I agree, there is no way to do this on epub, so I've abandoned the idea utterly. Also my goal in ebook generation is that the epub2 and and azw3/KF8 should look very similar and be similar to WYSIWG formatted on a small page in the wordprocessor done with no content incompatible to an ebook. I also check that the book is "sane" on a basic mobi viewer & ereader, without publisher font enabled (if that's an option). I check on Kindle, Kobos, Nook, Sony PRS350, Calibre Viewer and various apps on Android phone, Android Tablet and Windows tablet.

This particular project isn't a standalone ebook at all, but an additional complementary way to access the text for the map board game (a large ring bound book so that a double page spread map lies flat for counters/avatars). The text will be in ONE copy of a paperback, printed like a conventional "Plot your own adventure" except there is random access into it from the map location. The choices also have map board related actions and dice throws.

However sometimes there are links internal to an ebook and also to the Internet (where HW & SW of ereader & app support Internet). It's part of quality control to test that ALL links work. Also an anchor for a link to jump to should only be at the start of a paragraph in the original document for maximum conversion compatibility.

I don't see how text and screen size affect properly constructed links and anchors? Maybe I'm not understanding.
You were talking about using some feature in Mobi to freeze the page where the only way out of the frozen page is to use a link to move on.

I do have an idea that would work. You have the last page that has the links to go to wherever. But if someon taps the screen to move on, you can have a few extra pages. Maybe the next page be a copy of the links and the page after that to say to go back. That way, an accidental page turn won't be a spoiler.

#17  Quoth 10-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Actually even one extra page with a bold Error message/go back and the links would work, if it has page break before on the header style. I'd put a link to the entry of the "Section" too as the "start" of the section reached via TOC or search or whatever from the game board map could be an arbitrary number of pages depending on the screen size, resolution and selected font size and user spacing / margins.

I'll try that and see what the game designer thinks.

I think the structure for a "Turn" using the "book" is
1) Jump to section based on map location or a card. Something like Section 6 where Section 6 is the Section/Chapter/TOC name and the physical page number of the printed book is in a Contents Index.
2) Read text. It might be a description of a place (current map location) or an event (card picked up or given by other player).
3) SOMETIMES: Then you might have to select link based on which character you are playing.
4) Read list of possible directions you might go or actions you might take.
5) Choose the option
6) If it's a direction, then the new page is an identical page to the kind of page in (2), but for the new location you move your piece to on the map. This is the page you start on at the next turn.

This implies there are two lists/kinds of sections:
A) A section you are at (and at 1st page of it) at the start or end of a turn that describes that location. There is exactly one of these sections/chapters for each place in the map book. The map book is actually one big map of the island, but any one game session only uses one double page spread. There will be a goal. It might be reaching a location, or finding thing(s) or both.
B) The other kind of section is actions you choose, not places you are at. Some kinds of actions are not possible for certain characters. They do not affect your map location. Unlike a map game like "Near and Far", you ONLY move on the main map. Maybe some places have sub locations (castle, town, village etc, not sure if that will use separate small maps? He's not decided). The jumped to page (which may differ per character) has the narration for that and may have criteria for success if it's fighting, theft, running away etc.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register