Mobileread
Books copyright protected in US but not Canada
#51  Iphinome 03-21-2010, 06:47 AM
But how long is the contract? Till the copyright expires? A number of years? Number of printings?

#52  HarryT 03-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Depends entirely on the individual contract. 3 years or 5 years would be typical.

#53  GhostHawk 03-21-2010, 09:37 AM
My mistake sir.
I bow to your superior knowledge.

#54  captcrouton 03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
So back to Canada, I think the deal is this. Make a list of the books that are public domain there. Next time you fly through, open up your netbook, download the lot of them and go on with life.

We're abiding by the law in both countries, in my estimation. It's not illegal to download there, and not illegal to own it here.

I'm flying through on Wednesday. Any recommendations?

#55  DawnFalcon 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Again, the moment you make a copy, including incidental copies used in displaying the file, oops, offence.

#56  pietvo 03-22-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't believe that. Because if that would be true, it would also be the case for ebooks that you have legally bought. What if you bought a copy of one of the out of copyright ebooks in Canada? That would be silly if you can download them for free, but it would be legal. I don't see any difference with legally buying an ebook in your own country that is still in copyright. You would have the right to read it, although reading includes making incidental copies. I don't know the details of the law in the USA (and that's what we're talking about), but in the Dutch law the making of incidental copies like copying from hard disk to memory, of from memory to your screen is explicitely not a copyright violation.

#57  DawnFalcon 03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Nope, if it's an authorised copy then there are explicit clauses in the various laws for "transient copies" to be automatically authorised. These do not, however, apply to an unauthorised copy!

The EUCD is as clear as the DMCA on this.

« First  « Prev   (6/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register