Mobileread
Buying in nickel and reading directly in Koreader?
#1  libertango 03-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Is it possible to buy and download a book in nickel then read it in Koreader without passing through Calibre?

#2  JSWolf 03-09-2017, 12:15 PM
If the eBook has DRM, the answer is no way to do this. The ePub you buy has to be without DRM.

#3  latepaul 03-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Also if you're buying from the Kobo store it's going to prefer to send you kepubs rather than epubs. So I think even if it's DRMless you'd need to change the file extension to epub.

Not 100% sure, I know the version I've got doesn't see my kepubs but that could be DRM I suppose. I'll test this a bit later.

#4  JSWolf 03-09-2017, 03:01 PM
Quote latepaul
Also if you're buying from the Kobo store it's going to prefer to send you kepubs rather than epubs. So I think even if it's DRMless you'd need to change the file extension to epub.

Not 100% sure, I know the version I've got doesn't see my kepubs but that could be DRM I suppose. I'll test this a bit later.
I forgot about kepub. Given that Kobo sends kepub, the answer to the OP's question is you cannot buy from Kobo and read in Koreader.

#5  libertango 03-09-2017, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys that's what I suspected

#6  Alan_S 03-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Quote latepaul
kepubs are epub 3 format and at the moment koreader doesn't support epub 3 format.

It could be converted, but directly reading isn't possible.

#7  pazos 03-18-2017, 11:01 AM
koreader can read kepubs like epubs (extension is .kepub.epub) as long as they haven't DRM enabled.

#8  roger64 03-19-2017, 08:59 AM
Quote Alan_S
kepubs are epub 3 format and at the moment koreader doesn't support epub 3 format.

It could be converted, but directly reading isn't possible.
I have been publishing ebooks in EPUB3 format (validated with Epubcheck) since July 2015 and Koreader had never any problem reading them. No need to convert.

For kepub, I don't know, this maybe a different story but not related to EPUB3 format anyway.

Here is a link to one of them. Beware, it's in French.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...79#post3412079

Maybe you refer to some EPUB3 books with audio or video?

#9  Alan_S 03-19-2017, 02:31 PM
I just read this issue: https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/2602

And I thought that koreader has problems with epub3. If it reads epubs3 with respecting all elements, great.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register