Mobileread
Favorite Classic Book?
#11  Pickering 06-11-2011, 11:32 AM
My favorite classic is definitely The Complete Sherlock Holmes. One of the very few books I often re-read.

#12  Catlady 06-11-2011, 12:07 PM
I'll go with two newer classics: Gone with the Wind and The Once and Future King.

#13  maianhvk 06-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Sherlock Holmes.

The Count of Monte Cristo.

#14  Jessica Lares 06-11-2011, 03:43 PM
I actually agree with the not liking to re-read books. I don't like it very much either. It's not like watching a movie or listening to a song over and over again. You start to remember it a little more, yeah, but you also start over analyzing things.

I like The Count of Monte Cristo too, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Of Mice and Men. I read them in middle/high school. I took a Shakespeare class in high school and out of those I think I like Macbeth and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Oh, and A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

#15  PaulineDesigns 06-11-2011, 05:14 PM
My all-time fav classic is Moonfleet by John Meade Falkner (available at PG). It's the story of a man's life starting from when he is a teenager and gets caught up with smugglers.

#16  issybird 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Quote HarryT
What a depressing thought, never to re-read my favourite books. That would be like saying that I wouldn't listen to a loved piece of music again, because there are lots of pieces of music that I haven't yet heard.
I do know, but that's how it is. Too many books to get through and while I'm not exactly moribund, I'm also no longer an adolescent with endless days of summer which can be devoted entirely to reading and rereading, either. But it's one reason I'd never get rid of my favorites in DTBs--just the having them, being able to see them on a shelf, recalls them to me and how much I love them. For that matter, I have several of my all-time favorites loaded on my devices. They're there, even if they remain unopened.

#17  weatherwax 06-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Hard to pick just one. "Pride and Prejudice" was the first book I read in English outside school (many years ago) and it has remained one of my favorites.

#18  Ransom 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
George Macdonald—Phantastes

#19  Namekuseijin 06-11-2011, 08:17 PM
that's not fair. Specially considering ebooks when you can download all of the classics in an instant.

If I were cast alone in an Island, I'd hope to get a copy of Robinson Crusoe with me...

#20  crich70 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Quote Namekuseijin
that's not fair. Specially considering ebooks when you can download all of the classics in an instant.

If I were cast alone in an Island, I'd hope to get a copy of Robinson Crusoe with me...
What isn't fair? You've lost me.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register