Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for August 2019 • First Things First: Debuts
#51  gmw 07-04-2019, 08:56 PM
Quote CRussel
For what it's worth, this is not fantasy. And is the start of what is, by far, her best and most important series. I have mixed reactions to her other books -- some I like, a lot, some not so much. But this book (and the eponymous series it spawned) have been among my favourites.
Oh, I should have looked closer. Everything else I've read of hers has been fantasy and so I had that stuck in my head despite what you had said in the nomination.

Quote Catlady
You have my undying gratitude for not nominating a John Irving book.
Quote Catlady
I also considered Carrie; I liked the first few Stephen King novels before souring on him, and have thought it would be fun to revisit Carrie via audiobook one of these days.
We're even. I have absolutely no desire to revisit Carrie.

#52  Catlady 07-04-2019, 09:08 PM
Quote issybird
Thank you!

And I admit, I'm a sucker for books set in New York.
Quote Victoria
Me too - I love New York!
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, anyone?

#53  issybird 07-05-2019, 06:57 AM
Quote Catlady
One of those books I read over and over until I'd nearly memorized it.

As for the nominations, there isn't a book here that I wouldn't like to see make it to the poll, but we're running out of available nominations unless someone else shows up. Right now, it seems we'll have a lot of old maids.

#54  Victoria 07-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Quote Catlady
Definitely It’s been on my tbr list for ages. (Definitely not Carrie - I value my sleep ).

#55  Victoria 07-05-2019, 05:17 PM
Quote Catlady
Quote issybird
One of those books I read over and over until I'd nearly memorized it.

As for the nominations, there isn't a book here that I wouldn't like to see make it to the poll, but we're running out of available nominations unless someone else shows up. Right now, it seems we'll have a lot of old maids.
I’ve been trying not to spend all my votes on the first day, as I did the first few months. For my last vote, I third I Am A Cat - it’s sounds intriguing and something I would never have been introduced to on my own.

#56  Dazrin 07-05-2019, 11:31 PM
I think I have one left and since I still have signal I will third Fer de Lance.

#57  issybird 07-06-2019, 06:56 AM
Quote Dazrin
I think I have one left and since I still have signal I will third Fer de Lance.
If you, or anyone else, who can't be online during the voting would like, I'd be happy to add your votes to the poll. Just PM me with your choices any time before the poll is up.

#58  Catlady 07-06-2019, 09:48 AM
I'll third Every Day Is Mother's Day.

#59  issybird 07-07-2019, 07:06 AM
Nominations are closed and the poll is up.

« First  « Prev   (6/6)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register