Mobileread
Calibre not opening on Kali Linux
#1  zoomiest 11-24-2020, 11:54 AM
Calibre was not opening on the KDE menu.
On the command line, I get the following output:

$ calibre
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/calibre", line 20, in <module>
sys.exit(calibre())
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui_launch.py", line 73, in calibre
main(args)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 509, in main
app, opts, args = init_qt(args)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 122, in init_qt
app = Application(args, override_program_name=override, windows_app_uid=MAIN_APP_UID)
File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 885, in __init__
from calibre_extensions import progress_indicator
ImportError: /usr/lib/calibre/calibre/plugins/progress_indicator.so: undefined symbol: _Py_FatalErrorFunc

How can I resolve this?

#2  kovidgoyal 11-24-2020, 12:01 PM
Uninstall the distro provided calibre and install the official calibre binaries from https://calibre-ebook.com/download_linux

#3  zoomiest 11-24-2020, 01:04 PM
it worked perfectly, Kovid.
1. Many thanks for the quick, effective help, today.
2. Many more thanks for building and developing this amazing eBook Management system!

#4  JSWolf 11-24-2020, 03:51 PM
Linux suppositories are useless for Calibre.

#5  PeterT 11-24-2020, 05:02 PM
Everything depends on the maintainer and how they approach their repository. I believe you'd find that eschwartz takes care to avoid issues in his archlinux ports.

#6  BetterRed 11-24-2020, 05:39 PM
"particulate repository" is that a PC term for a 'sandbox'

#7  PeterT 11-24-2020, 07:06 PM
Quote BetterRed
"particulate repository" is that a PC term for a 'sandbox'
Editted to correct typo (The joys of having had multiple eye drops, laser treatment on my right eye's retina, not wearing contacts while eyes recover, and typing on a phone).

#8  kcarscadden 11-29-2020, 11:21 PM
I agree with PeterT's endorsement of eschwartz's maintenance of Calibre on Arch Linux and its derivative Manjaro Linux. I've had no problems with it after installing on a Raspberry Pi 4.

#9  eschwartz 11-29-2020, 11:43 PM
Note that I only maintain it on Arch Linux, and only provide support to users on Arch Linux.

Arch Linux ARM will autobuild it for various ARM architectures, which should work fairly speedily. As this is merely CPU porting, no issues should be anticipated.

Manjaro is more or less "Arch, but a week or two slow, plus custom kernels you could have gotten from the AUR" because apparently getting Arch bugs a week later than everyone else, and the fix a week later too, is considered a form of stability. Admittedly I am obviously biased, but, personally, I do not believe this provides a strong value add...

#10  ownedbycats 11-30-2020, 02:00 AM
Quote JSWolf
Linux suppositories are useless for Calibre.
I'd be afraid to use a Linux suppository...

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register