Mobileread
OpenGL not found error 5.5 on macOS Big Sur
#1  grantbarrett 11-23-2020, 06:14 PM
I don't see a way to file an issue ticket on Github, so I hope this will do.

I've run up against an issue that may have to do with changes Apple made to the location (or absence) of OpenGL frameworks on macOS 11 (Big Sur).

Calibre 5.5 was fine until I activated its web server. Now launch does not complete. The splash screen appears, then the app stops trying to load.

I then launched it from the terminal with the debug option to see what I could learn. The final line in the terminal before stopping is "FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory." I am attaching that terminal session here.

In the system logs, there are these three Calibre-related lines at the same time:

Nov 23 13:54:19 My-Server-Name com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Hit: app<application.net.kovidgoyal.calibre.12930261220 .12930261347(501)> [856]

Nov 23 13:54:26 My-Server-Name calibre[816]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory

Nov 23 13:54:26 My-Server-Name calibre[816]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

A quick Google search for relevant terms turns up many other projects running up against this problem. This discussion here seems relevant and enlightening:

https://github.com/ziglang/zig/issues/2208

I hope this is helpful. Thanks for the project and all the hard work over the years.
[txt] debug-terminal.txt (3.8 KB, 60 views)

#2  JSWolf 11-23-2020, 06:23 PM
That GitHub link is not what you want. Big Sur was not released in 2019.

#3  grantbarrett 11-23-2020, 07:19 PM
Quote JSWolf
That GitHub link is not what you want. Big Sur was not released in 2019.
Oops! You're right. I think these may be helfpul:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1651455

#4  kovidgoyal 11-23-2020, 11:54 PM
This doesnt have anything to do with OpenGL which neither calibre nor the calibre server use. This looks like an issue with something on your computer deleting the socket calibre uses to communicate with its worker processes. Probably a security program, which was triggerred by the starting of the webserver. Security programs often think servers are malware, since plebians are supposed to only consume content, not serve it.

#5  grantbarrett 11-24-2020, 12:57 AM
Quote kovidgoyal
This doesnt have anything to do with OpenGL which neither calibre nor the calibre server use. This looks like an issue with something on your computer deleting the socket calibre uses to communicate with its worker processes. Probably a security program, which was triggerred by the starting of the webserver. Security programs often think servers are malware, since plebians are supposed to only consume content, not serve it.
Thank you, Kovid. I'll look into the firewall, the security permissions, and a few other things.

#6  JSWolf 11-24-2020, 08:05 AM
Quote grantbarrett
Thank you, Kovid. I'll look into the firewall, the security permissions, and a few other things.
Any AV program that thinks Calibre is an issue should be deleted and replaced with one that works.

#7  DNSB 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Quote JSWolf
Any AV program that thinks Calibre is an issue should be deleted and replaced with one that works.
What is your suggested replacement for Big Sur?

#8  JSWolf 11-24-2020, 03:52 PM
Quote DNSB
What is your suggested replacement for Big Sur?
That I cannot say as I don't have experience with OS X AV. I just know the rule of thumb regarding Calibre and false positivities.

#9  grantbarrett 12-18-2020, 12:42 AM
Just to follow up, I am still having this problem. There are no antivirus or security applications running or installed. No firewall, no anti-malware, nothing. I've completely removed Calibre as far as I can tell. Is there more than the Calibre app to delete? I didn't find anything else. I reinstalled it using the latest version, 5.7.2. I've moved the books and database so it should be starting from scratch and not trying to load them. Yet, consistently it gives me these lines in the system log not long after start.

Dec 17 20:34:54 My-Computer-Name com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: Coalition Cache Hit: app<application.net.kovidgoyal.calibre.12933608386 .12933608513(501)> [10200]
Dec 17 20:34:56 My-Computer-Name calibre[6050]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelHD5000GraphicsGLDriver: #2: No such file or directory
Dec 17 20:34:56 My-Computer-Name calibre[6050]: getattrlist failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Resources//GLRendererFloat.bundle/GLRendererFloat: #2: No such file or directory

#10  grantbarrett 01-06-2021, 06:07 PM
One step further: if I change

"autolaunch_server": true

to

"autolaunch_server": false

in

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/calibre/gui.py.json

Then Calibre starts just fine. So it's something to do with the book server.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register