Mobileread
Desktop App HELP with authorising DRM'd epub buys
#1  anacreon 11-22-2020, 11:15 AM
As I wrote earlier, I recently changed emails in Adobe, Kobo, Fnac, and it was quite a hassle. But it turns out a disaster, because when I installed ADE 4.0 (ADE 2.0 had weird problems) on a PC (the Surface Book 1 I just reinitialized,) I couldn't open an .acsm. I couldn't authorize ADE with my present email/password, nor the former ones. I can't use the Sony app anymore either. If there is no solution, I give up on the hundreds of epubs I bought before (most are in Calibre anyway), but what can I do for future buys?
I know this is not directly a Kobo problem, but it is a problem for all epub buys.
Is there any app other than ADE? ADE says no problem changing, just see their customer services, but there is none visible on their site.
Does anybody know how to contact them? Is there any other app for authorizing - which would better?
If there is none other, that would be seriously abuse of dominant position.

#2  rashkae 11-22-2020, 11:24 AM
<Rant> This is the problem with *all* DRM, and the reason I so strongly advocate and support for its complete destruction. Unfortunately, can't get too specific on this forum, but you should start with the Apprentice ALF Blog.

</Rant>

#3  JSWolf 11-22-2020, 11:51 AM
What problem are you having running ADE 2.0.1?

#4  Nascarfan1972 11-22-2020, 03:27 PM
Adobe have discontinued support for ADE (I discovered this when windows 10 decided to update from an older version I was running to a newer version), and I contacted Adobe for help in deauthorising my PC authorisations and setting up new ones on the same PC.

I eventually got around the problem by googling how to clear my Adobe authorisations by doing the following:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/digital-editions/erase-computer-authorization/td-p/10239519?page=1

#5  anacreon 11-22-2020, 03:55 PM
Quote Nascarfan1972
Adobe have discontinued support for ADE (I discovered this when windows 10 decided to update from an older version I was running to a newer version), and I contacted Adobe for help in deauthorising my PC authorisations and setting up new ones on the same PC.

I eventually got around the problem by googling how to clear my Adobe authorisations by doing the following:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/digital-editions/erase-computer-authorization/td-p/10239519?page=1
Thank you for this information.

I looked it up and I'm worried about discontinuing all my authorizations, I just want them just for ADE and not Acrobat or Photoshop. I did change my Adobe email and password there last 16 November, and I'm still working on the consequences (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334888), and it apparently didn't change ADE's, but even entering old parameters didn't work.
Does your link applies just for ADE? https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/change-or-reset-password.html seems to apply to all Adobe products.

EDIT: and in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept Remove the Adept Folder does Adept means all Adobe or just ADE?

#6  JSWolf 11-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Adept is the name of the DRM for ADE.

#7  anacreon 11-29-2020, 10:42 AM
Quote anacreon
Thank you for this information.

I looked it up and I'm worried about discontinuing all my authorizations, I just want them just for ADE and not Acrobat or Photoshop. I did change my Adobe email and password there last 16 November, and I'm still working on the consequences (see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334888), and it apparently didn't change ADE's, but even entering old parameters didn't work.
Does your link applies just for ADE? https://helpx.adobe.com/manage-account/using/change-or-reset-password.html seems to apply to all Adobe products.

EDIT: and in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Adept Remove the Adept Folder does Adept means all Adobe or just ADE?
Since JSWolf explained that adept meant ADE, I used the method pointed at by Nascarfan1972 and suppressed the adept folder, uninstalled ADE 2.0 and 4.0 and reinstalled ADE 2.0.

Unfortunately, while the installation seemed to work ok, when I tried to open ADE the window flashed for under a second before closing, whether I opened it regularly or as an administrator.

So now I have no ADE. Woe is me. Luckily this is my secondary PC, but when the main one dies or has to be reinitialized or becomes obsolete, I won't be able to buy epubs anymore and will be limited to amazon, which doesn't have everything and scrambles perfectly good epubs - until Amazon finds a way to make de-drm books impossible.

#8  JSWolf 11-29-2020, 10:54 AM
Quote anacreon
Since JSWolf explained that adept meant ADE, I used the method pointed at by Nascarfan1972 and suppressed the adept folder, uninstalled ADE 2.0 and 4.0 and reinstalled ADE 2.0.

Unfortunately, while the installation seemed to work ok, when I tried to open ADE the window flashed for under a second before closing, whether I opened it regularly or as an administrator.

So now I have no ADE. Woe is me. Luckily this is my secondary PC, but when the main one dies or has to be reinitialized or becomes obsolete, I won't be able to buy epubs anymore and will be limited to amazon, which doesn't have everything and scrambles perfectly good epubs - until Amazon finds a way to make de-drm books impossible.
Try the following...

Code
In C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_ Incorporate rename user.config an try ADE again. I have had this problem before and it solved the problem.
Rename C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Digital Editions to Digital Editions.bak and create a new Digital Editions.

#9  anacreon 11-29-2020, 11:01 AM
So, even in my main PC, ADE 2.0 doesn't stay open. I installed ADE 4.0 and COULD authorize it with my new email and password - thank you Nascarfan1972. But I can't find anymore a way to refuse automatic updates in the menus as I did with ADE 2.0.

EDIT @JSWolf: I saw your post after posting mine. I'll try your suggestion and tell you whether it works.

#10  anacreon 11-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Quote JSWolf
Try the following...

In C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Adobe_Systems_Incorpora te rename user.config an try ADE again. I have had this problem before and it solved the problem.

Rename C:\Users\XXX\Documents\My Digital Editions to Digital Editions.bak and create a new Digital Editions.
I did that on the secondary PC, and not on the main: in both the 2.0 disappears immediately, and the 4.0 opens with no books other than one I added to see whether it worked. When I opened the 4.0 Adobe offered to update and I refused. I'll see whether it continues not to do it automatically.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register