Mobileread
Clone Kobo device
#1  Barruel 11-19-2020, 01:08 PM
Hi.

As I'm learning german, I bought a new Clara so I can have the german text in one Clara and the translation in the other side by side.

I'd like to set up my new Clara as quick as possible, so I thought I maybe could just clone the first one into the second one and avoid the hassle of copying fonts, dictionaries, settings, books, metadata, etc. I guess that it won't be as easy as copying the files from one SD to the other, because they'll probably have the device ID and stuff like that in some files.

Probably many people here have faced this before. Any advice on cloning devices?

#2  DNSB 11-19-2020, 02:29 PM
Quote Barruel
Hi.

As I'm learning german, I bought a new Clara so I can have the german text in one Clara and the translation in the other side by side.

I'd like to set up my new Clara as quick as possible, so I thought I maybe could just clone the first one into the second one and avoid the hassle of copying fonts, dictionaries, settings, books, metadata, etc. I guess that it won't be as easy as copying the files from one SD to the other, because they'll probably have the device ID and stuff like that in some files.

Probably many people here have faced this before. Any advice on cloning devices?
You can just copy the files over from the exposed partition. Device ID, etc. live on the system partition which is not visible from USB connection.

#3  Barruel 11-19-2020, 07:30 PM
Quote DNSB
You can just copy the files over from the exposed partition. Device ID, etc. live on the system partition which is not visible from USB connection.
Good to hear. Thanks.

I seem to understand that just updating the firmware, patching it and copying the files will get me a 1:1 copy of my device.

I wonder if device registration will be an issue. I remember registering it following the guide I found here to do it offline (the one involving sqlwhatever). Do I need to repeat that procedure or will it be plug and play?

#4  karlnapf 11-26-2020, 12:04 PM
It seems NOT be possible to copy the contents of collections.

#5  davidfor 11-26-2020, 08:30 PM
Quote karlnapf
It seems NOT be possible to copy the contents of collections.
Yes and no. If you mean does the firmware on the device support it, then no. Kobo does not support syncing any details about sideloaded books. But, it really depends on what you mean by "copy", the tools you use and what you are willing to do.

If you are a calibre user and use it for collection management, it is simple, just connect the new device and and send your books to it. The collections will be created.

You can also copy, carefully, the whole database and all the books across to the new device. This works for some people, doesn't work for others.

Or, you could use some SQL knowledge to dump the collections from the database on the old device and add them to the new device.

And there is also an automatic collection creation tool that you can install on the device.

#6  Barruel 11-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Hi.

I received the new Clara a few days ago.

Right after unpacking, I upgraded the firmware, patched it and put in the device a new 32Gb micro SD card I had already set with an image of the SD in my other Clara.

Today I realized that both devices have the same serial number!

Luckily enough, the original card in the new Clara was still intact and I'm starting from scratch.

I guess if SD images people share here in this forum carry their serial numbers too.

Scary.

#7  davidfor 11-30-2020, 12:03 AM
The serial number is on the SD card, so will be copied when you take an image. For the images I have, most have the serial number set to all zeroes. While it is better to have the correct serial number, in general, it is safe to not to.

#8  Barruel 11-30-2020, 03:52 AM
Quote davidfor
The serial number is on the SD card, so will be copied when you take an image. For the images I have, most have the serial number set to all zeroes. While it is better to have the correct serial number, in general, it is safe to not to.
Well, none of my Kobos has ever been online and I intend to keep it that way. I guess that I can use both of them that way without issues.

I realized they had the same s/n when I was setting up the Kobo Touch Extended driver in Calibre. WiFi card mac address was different, but s/n was the same.

Calibre was the main issue with two identical devices with the same s/n.

#9  davidfor 11-30-2020, 04:29 AM
Quote Barruel
Well, none of my Kobos has ever been online and I intend to keep it that way. I guess that I can use both of them that way without issues.

I realized they had the same s/n when I was setting up the Kobo Touch Extended driver in Calibre. WiFi card mac address was different, but s/n was the same.

Calibre was the main issue with two identical devices with the same s/n.
Calibre doesn't care about the serial number. The only spot I can think of it being used is in the Kobo Utilities plugin when doing the automatic backup. The serial number is used in the backup files for people that have two of the same device.

#10  Barruel 11-30-2020, 04:39 AM
Quote davidfor
The serial number is used in the backup files for people that have two of the same device.
Yep. I use that.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register