Mobileread
Can you be banned for sideloading content?
#1  OrangeMango 11-17-2020, 01:38 AM
I have heaps of archived fanfiction and it's only recently dawned on me the fact I can shove it into my kindle and read it anywhere. Some amount of it is invariably too edgy for the kindle store, but I don't want to have to dig through every fic before I upload it to my kindle for reading.

Do I need to worry about this or is it fine?

#2  DNSB 11-17-2020, 01:44 AM
Quote OrangeMango
I have heaps of archived fanfiction and it's only recently dawned on me the fact I can shove it into my kindle and read it anywhere. Some amount of it is invariably too edgy for the kindle store, but I don't want to have to dig through every fic before I upload it to my kindle for reading.

I wouldn't worry about it. So far I haven't heard of anyone who has pirated material on their Kindles getting a call from Amazon though they were using email to get the books to their Kindles. Perhaps a can of worms regarding privacy that Amazon does not want to open.

#3  OrangeMango 11-17-2020, 01:54 AM
So I'll hazard the guess that they won't check for content of side-loaded files either if they're not banning anyone for that?

#4  ownedbycats 11-17-2020, 01:59 AM
If they did, do you think anyone on these forums would even use a Kindle?

#5  pdurrant 11-17-2020, 03:13 AM
Quote OrangeMango

It's fine. While theoretically possible, I can't imagine Amazon even checking documents sent by email, let alone side-loaded ones.

#6  Sirtel 11-17-2020, 05:50 AM
Quote DNSB
I wouldn't worry about it. So far I haven't heard of anyone who has pirated material on their Kindles getting a call from Amazon though they were using email to get the books to their Kindles. Perhaps a can of worms regarding privacy that Amazon does not want to open.
How would Amazon even know a book has been pirated? It might just have been bought somewhere else. Unless the book is a scanned PDF and even then it's not certain.

Amazon advertises the ability of Kindles to read and sync sideloaded content. If they suddenly started to ban users for doing it, there would be a major hullabaloo.

#7  ownedbycats 11-17-2020, 06:18 AM
Quote Sirtel
How would Amazon even know a book has been pirated? It might just have been bought somewhere else. Unless the book is a scanned PDF and even then it's not certain.
Social DRM I think it's called. Essentially watermarking the files in a way that they can be traced back to the person who bought it.

#8  Sirtel 11-17-2020, 07:01 AM
Quote ownedbycats
Social DRM I think it's called. Essentially watermarking the files in a way that they can be traced back to the person who bought it.
Then why is no one using this method to track the pirates? Too much bother? We all know piracy is pretty widespread and I haven't heard of anyone being caught that way.

#9  Quoth 11-17-2020, 01:48 PM
Quote ownedbycats
If they did, do you think anyone on these forums would even use a Kindle?
It would kill Kindle Sales if Amazon was found to be monitoring what you install on one that is content you didn't buy from them.

About 99% of my Kindle content isn't from Amazon. None is pirated.

#10  Quoth 11-17-2020, 01:56 PM
Quote Sirtel
Then why is no one using this method to track the pirates? Too much bother? We all know piracy is pretty widespread and I haven't heard of anyone being caught that way.
Because it's really hard to do on ebooks that it can't easily be defeated. It's done to video, though it has zero impact on industrial pirates.

Indeed traditionally maps and dictionaries on paper were reputed to have deliberate errors to highlight piracy. Most piracy then was done by other publishers from 19th C till 20th C., Dickens to Tolkien. Now piracy is on an industrial scale by gangs in USA, Russia and Asia. Individuals are not the major pirates today and never were.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register