Mobileread
Managing Tags
#1  Rellwood 11-15-2020, 10:44 PM
If I delete or change a tag using the tag manager, is this a permanent change for each incoming tag, or will it affect only those current tags?

I want to know if sweeping changes to a current library will effect it for all time. I intend to remove a lot of tags, but bring them back later. There are a lot of books mis-tagged that it is easier to just delete the tags and then re-add then later.

This is for the tag MANAGER not Mapper.

#2  davidfor 11-15-2020, 10:59 PM
Tags in calibre only exist if they are on a book. The Tag Manager acts on the tag across all books that have it. Delete a tag in the Tag Manager and the tag is removed from the book. After that, calibre has no knowledge of the existence of that tag.

#3  Rellwood 11-23-2020, 09:12 PM
I'm not sure what that means. Does this mean:

A) Every library follows the tag rules put down by one library?
B) If I delete a tag in the Tag Manager and decide later that I want it, or if I add a book with that tag on it - that tag will be deleted?

#4  ownedbycats 11-23-2020, 09:20 PM
a) Each library has its own set of tags.
b) Only if you delete it again.

There's nothing permanent about the tags. You can change them as you see fit. Remove them, add them again, rename them, so forth. This also goes for custom tag-likes.

#5  theducks 11-23-2020, 09:25 PM
Tags are Per Library other libraries have no idea what tags are active in their neighboring Library (tags are part of Metadata.DB, not some master table)

Delete gives you the option of The Library or the CURRENT VL
Tags are Linked to the BOOK RECORD {id}
When there are no more books using, the TAG (name) is deleted from the tags list. You re introduce the Tag name, it starts over. there is no history.

This is a Relational DB. Tags can be 1 to Many (books)

#6  ownedbycats 11-23-2020, 09:33 PM
Quote theducks
Tags are Per Library other libraries have no idea what tags are active in their neighboring Library (tags are part of Metadata.DB, not some master table)
You can create an empty 'dummy' book with every single tag in Library #1 then copy it over to Library #2. The tags will then appear in Library #2. However, unless you copy them to other books, they'll disappear if you delete the dummy book.

Job Spy has a tool to help facilitate this. Mega-Metadata Reference Text or something like that.

#7  Rellwood 11-23-2020, 09:34 PM
Thanks! I should have known this by now, but before making a sweeping removal of my tags I thought I would just make sure.

My tags are a total mess. I just can't seem to organize them and keep them in that order.
It's that heirarchal format that is causing problems because I can't just make a choice and stick with it.

Vampires
Paranormal.Vampires
Paranormal & Urban.Creatures.Vampires
Paranormal .Characters.Vampires
Characters.Paranormal.Vampires
Characters.P&U.Vampires
Vamps
Vampire

That is just one tag.

#8  Rellwood 11-23-2020, 09:39 PM
Quote ownedbycats
You can create an empty 'dummy' book with every single tag in Library #1 then copy it over to Library #2. The tags will then appear in Library #2. However, unless you copy them to other books, they'll disappear if you delete the dummy book.

Job Spy has a tool to help facilitate this. Mega-Metadata Reference Text or something like that.
Thanks! I have done that before, I keep a blank library with all the tags. I just wasn't sure if deleteing them would be a permanet thing.

#9  Rellwood 11-23-2020, 09:46 PM
Quote theducks

Delete gives you the option of The Library or the CURRENT VL
Tags are Linked to the BOOK RECORD {id}
When there are no more books using, the TAG (name) is deleted from the tags list. You re introduce the Tag name, it starts over. there is no history.

This is a Relational DB. Tags can be 1 to Many (books)
Are the VL so "solid" that I can make chages in the Tag manager and they will only affect the books in that libary, but not in the other ones?

Also, are the user catagories virtual libaries?

#10  ownedbycats 11-23-2020, 10:05 PM
show attachment »

Oh no, my finger slipped and I accidentally clicked "Delete Fanfiction" instead of "Delete Fanfiction in virtual library!"

show attachment »

Never mind.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register