Mobileread
Libra Sleeping vs Powered Off - how to tell?
#1  Uncle Robin 11-14-2020, 07:23 PM
Yesterday I changed from having my current read's cover show when my Libra is sleeping/powered off to showing a screensaver. Now, as the attached screenshots show, it's impossible to tell the difference between sleep and powered off. With book covers, if I accidentally held the button too long, I could see "Powered Off" on the screen, or "Sleeping" if not. Can I have that with screen savers too?
powered off.jpg sleeping.jpg 

#2  thangcuoi 11-15-2020, 03:00 AM
If you are using a smart cover, it would wake up the eReader when opening the cover if it's in sleep mode.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

#3  Uncle Robin 11-15-2020, 03:24 AM
Quote thangcuoi
If you are using a smart cover, it would wake up the eReader when opening the cover if it's in sleep mode.
Thanks. I have a smart cover, but I have yet to use it. It's 123 grams, a very significant addition to the Libra's 192. On an average week i spend fewer than 5 hours out of my house, so I'm keeping the cover for when I go out and take my Libra with me. For reading at home, the lightness of the Libra outweighs(ha!) the added protection of the cover.

#4  JSWolf 11-16-2020, 04:08 PM
Quote Uncle Robin
Yesterday I changed from having my current read's cover show when my Libra is sleeping/powered off to showing a screensaver. Now, as the attached screenshots show, it's impossible to tell the difference between sleep and powered off. With book covers, if I accidentally held the button too long, I could see "Powered Off" on the screen, or "Sleeping" if not. Can I have that with screen savers too?
Turn on the info panel and you'll know the difference between sleep and powered-off. The info panel option is in Settings > Energy saving and privacy. Also, you'll have tog o back to book covers.

#5  DNSB 11-16-2020, 05:39 PM
Quote JSWolf
Turn on the info panel and you'll know the difference between sleep and powered-off. The info panel option is in Settings > Energy saving and privacy.
Out of a perhaps morbid curiosity, have you tried showing the info panel when using screensaver images not books covers as the OP said:

Yesterday I changed from having my current read's cover show when my Libra is sleeping/powered off to showing a screensaver.
Inquiring minds are eager to know.

#6  Uncle Robin 11-17-2020, 07:03 PM
Quote JSWolf
Turn on the info panel and you'll know the difference between sleep and powered-off. The info panel option is in Settings > Energy saving and privacy. Also, you'll have tog o back to book covers.
Thank you for completely ignoring what I had written and sharing irrelevant advice. The settings you describe explicitly state that they apply for, and I quote "full screen covers". Those boxes are ticked and the info box did show when I had fullscreen covers enabled. Since the whole point of my query was about a changed situation, had you bothered to pay attention to the content of my original post you might have perceived that you were not offering anything of value to the discussion. Unlikely, but not impossible.

#7  DNSB 11-18-2020, 12:33 AM
One of the Kobo patches for libnickel.so.1.0.0.0 says "Allow showing info panel on random screensaver". This may do what you want.

#8  Uncle Robin 11-18-2020, 04:13 AM
Quote DNSB
One of the Kobo patches for libnickel.so.1.0.0.0 says "Allow showing info panel on random screensaver". This may do what you want.
Thanks, I'll give it a try

#9  Uncle Robin 11-18-2020, 11:37 PM
Quote DNSB
Thanks again - PERFECT result! As a bonus, the info panel is much less intrusive on my chosen screensaver than it was on the book covers.
success.jpg 

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register