Mobileread
Upgrading Kobo OS, what impact does it have on KOReader?
#1  twowheels 11-11-2020, 07:53 PM
I installed KOReader w/ the simple installer that installs KOReader and launcher all at once, and haven't used the built-in reader since. I see that there's a new Kobo OS update, which I probably don't care about, but it might update itself soon, so before that happens I thought that I should check to see if there's anything that I need to do to ensure that I don't lose my reading statistics, progress, etc. I assume that these are stored in the normal user-space that isn't overwritten by the Kobo OS installer, but would like to confirm.

Once the Kobo OS updates, I'm guessing that I need to re-install KOReader. I assume that I can just use the same install script. Anything else that I need to be aware of?

#2  NiLuJe 11-11-2020, 08:01 PM
The only thing that'll be disabled by the FW update is KFMon, which means that you won't be able to *launch* KOReader without reinstalling that (either standalone, or via the OCP. Note that the OCP install script can handle KFMon's standalone package just fine, if you want to save a bit of time).

Everything else is completely orthogonal to the official FW, and is perfectly safe as long as you don't factory reset.

(NickelMenu will survive the update, so, another approach is to tweak the NM configs installed by the OCP to bypass KFMon and go directly through NM. That's already in there almost ready to use, everything's just commented out).

#3  twowheels 11-12-2020, 04:23 AM
Thanks, that's what I suspected, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

#4  Jellby 11-12-2020, 05:22 AM
Just in case, make sure to have a backup of your koreader folder (or the whole kobo drive)

#5  NiLuJe 11-12-2020, 11:34 AM
I've got a quick'n dirty backup script here. Which, granted, only helps you if you have shell access .

#6  twowheels 11-12-2020, 05:43 PM
Shell access? I wouldn't have it any other way!

(I spend the vast majority of my day at a bash prompt, vim, gdb, etc...)

Thanks for the pointer, I'll check it out.

#7  steveparry 11-20-2020, 06:02 PM
I have just powered up my Kobo Libra for the first time in a few weeks. It hasNickel menu/Koreader/plato installed. When the Libra started up it updated the Kobo OS... There was a quick flash of dialogue box saying something about something then it started up properly. Now when I touch the Nickel Menu icon a box comes up saying "Generator error". What should I do? I'm not a programmer like most others in this forum seem to be. And I remember it was a royal pain for me to install it via my Mac - we're used to a graphical user interface. Should I try to install it all over again?

#8  NiLuJe 11-20-2020, 06:25 PM
@steveparry: Yep, the "Generator error" menu entry is simply the visual effect on NickelMenu of KFMon having gone MIA after the update .

#9  twowheels 11-20-2020, 06:25 PM
I had the same exact error, and just followed the install instructions and unzipped the package on my Kobo again and it re-installed itself and worked perfectly, without any data loss.

The one-click installer should also do the same, but easier.

#10  steveparry 11-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Yes! I re-downloaded the install script and the new package and installed it. The Libra has now rebooted and Plato and Koreader appear working OK. Thank you.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register