Mobileread
Clara database disk image error
#11  davidfor 10-24-2020, 01:12 AM
Quote retro
I have not run both at the same time.
Yes, I can do the check that says no errors then open calibre and get the error, close calibre, do the check and it says no errors.

I usually open calibre before connecting but trying both ways, I always get the error. I would think if something like antivirus was blocking, it would do it on both Claras. The 2nd one has no problems.
I didn't notice there was another device that did work. But, the antivirus might be seeing something different about the devices.
Just seemed odd to me that one can be accessed and the other is said to be malformed.
Yes, it is strange. Is the error you see when using calibre always the same? The first post shows an error getting the collections from the device. Is the last line in the error for file "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py" always the same?

Could you run the following SQL statement using SQLitedatabasebrowser? This accesses the table the line shown is querying.
Code
select ShelfName
from ShelfContent
where _IsDeleted = 'false'
and ShelfName is not null
And then:

Code
select ShelfName
from ShelfContent
order by ContentId
And can you run calibre in debug mode and post the log? That might tell me something. Such a is the error happening on the first book.

And would it be possible to see the database? Don't post it, upload it somewhere and PM me the link to it. It will be interesting to see if I can see anything going on with it.

#12  retro 10-24-2020, 10:41 AM
Quote davidfor
I didn't notice there was another device that did work. But, the antivirus might be seeing something different about the devices.

Yes, it is strange. Is the error you see when using calibre always the same? The first post shows an error getting the collections from the device. Is the last line in the error for file "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py" always the same?

Could you run the following SQL statement using SQLitedatabasebrowser? This accesses the table the line shown is querying.
Code
select ShelfName
from ShelfContent
And then:

Code
select ShelfName
from ShelfContent
order by ContentId
And can you run calibre in debug mode and post the log? That might tell me something. Such a is the error happening on the first book.

And would it be possible to see the database? Don't post it, upload it somewhere and PM me the link to it. It will be interesting to see if I can see anything going on with it.
All the connecting and disconnecting must have pushed it over the edge and the reader quit being recognized and wouldn't delete books.
I did a factory reset, didn't lose my patches, just added the fonts and books back and everything is fine again.
One thing I did try after the reset was to open the BookReader.sqlite and got the popup for the encryption password unlike the malformed error like before. I made a copy of the file to try replacing when it happens again. I'm sure I will be able to try some of your other suggestions too.

I can't remember exactly when this first started earlier this summer so it could possibly be an issue with calibre and another version might fix it. I'm just not ready to move to 5 yet.

Thanks for trying to help!

#13  davidfor 10-25-2020, 01:17 AM
Quote retro
All the connecting and disconnecting must have pushed it over the edge and the reader quit being recognized and wouldn't delete books.
I did a factory reset, didn't lose my patches, just added the fonts and books back and everything is fine again.
That suggests something was going on and the way that calibre access the database. My Glo HD has will connect to my main laptop and I can look at the disc. But, run calibre, and it an error is raised by both calibre and Windows. There might have been something along those lines. Possibly just reformatting the book partition was enough.
One thing I did try after the reset was to open the BookReader.sqlite and got the popup for the encryption password unlike the malformed error like before. I made a copy of the file to try replacing when it happens again. I'm sure I will be able to try some of your other suggestions too.
Reading back, I hadn't noticed that the copy you took of this gave an different error. That makes me more confident that it was a file system corruption of some sort. Hopefully it isn't a failing SD card. If it happens again, I'd replace the card.

As to BookReader.sqlite, forget about it. It is completely and utterly uninvolved in anything that you have been describing. It will only be used if you have a Kobo Plus account. Calibre does absolutely nothing with it. It has absolutely no idea the file exists. If you think something is wrong with it, just delete it. The device will recreate it.
I can't remember exactly when this first started earlier this summer so it could possibly be an issue with calibre and another version might fix it. I'm just not ready to move to 5 yet.
I don't think it is a software issue. I think it is more likely that the file system was corrupt somehow, or possibly the SD card is failing.

#14  geek1011 10-25-2020, 10:14 AM
Quote davidfor
As to BookReader.sqlite, forget about it. It is completely and utterly uninvolved in anything that you have been describing. It will only be used if you have a Kobo Plus account.
Or OverDrive.

#15  retro 10-25-2020, 11:40 AM
Quote davidfor
That suggests something was going on and the way that calibre access the database. My Glo HD has will connect to my main laptop and I can look at the disc. But, run calibre, and it an error is raised by both calibre and Windows. There might have been something along those lines. Possibly just reformatting the book partition was enough.

Reading back, I hadn't noticed that the copy you took of this gave an different error. That makes me more confident that it was a file system corruption of some sort. Hopefully it isn't a failing SD card. If it happens again, I'd replace the card.

As to BookReader.sqlite, forget about it. It is completely and utterly uninvolved in anything that you have been describing. It will only be used if you have a Kobo Plus account. Calibre does absolutely nothing with it. It has absolutely no idea the file exists. If you think something is wrong with it, just delete it. The device will recreate it.

I don't think it is a software issue. I think it is more likely that the file system was corrupt somehow, or possibly the SD card is failing.
Actually, in the first post I said I did replace the SD card after the first time this happened because it looked like corruption. Also, I wasn't sure a factory reset would rewrite files that were corrupted, so I used the original image and let it upgrade through Kobo.

The fact that it's progressive, first not loading covers, next not deleting books, eventually not being able to manage at all with calibre looks like corruption. This time I did not look to see if I could access the drive, didn't seem like it mattered when a reset was inevitable.

Thanks for helping.

#16  retro 10-25-2020, 11:46 AM
Quote geek1011
Or OverDrive.
That's interesting. I don't use Overdrive, but I did try it out once and downloaded a book. I have since deleted the book, but everytime I do a reset and login, I get a message that a book has expired. Odd since the book is not on the device and I don't see any reference to it in my Kobo account. And it's after a reset so it must be connected to my Kobo account.
Next time I might use a new Kobo account and see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the idea!

#17  PeterT 10-25-2020, 12:28 PM
I can't help but think it might be a USB port issue; that the cable is coming loose and corrupting data transfers.

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk

#18  retro 10-31-2020, 11:04 AM
Following up, I have been using my Clara for about a week after a factory reset. Last night I finished a book and when I tried to remove it, it was not completely removed. The book still showed in the list but when selected, I get an error that I am not authorized to read the book.

I connected and tried to open the databases, KoboReader.sqlite opened and the test showed no problems but BookReader.sqlite gave this error.

Could not open database file
Reason: disk I/O error

When I did this after the reset, both were readable even though BookReader.sqlite required a password.

So I closed SQLitedatabasebrowser and opened calibre with no errors and calibre let me delete the file from the reader. When loading a couple of books, one loaded and the other threw an error. That book did show up in the folder on the reader but without a cover.

After the last reset, I made a copy of BookReader.sqlite, so I deleted the one on the reader and replaced it with the copy. This worked!

I know it's not the way to correctly troubleshoot and the disk I/O error points to the sd card, but after so many times going through this, I wanted to see if BookReader.sqlite was the culprit and it seems it is. Why it keeps happening is the real question and I guess I need to try yet another sd card.

So my issues are still ongoing.....

#19  compurandom 10-31-2020, 03:30 PM
Quote davidfor
I am convinced that calibre corrupted the database on my brand new forma at least 3x. Both times I restored the database from the kobo utilities backup and everything was ok. Once the forma reset itself and logged me out. I am very sure I ejected correctly every time, and at least one of the times I hadn't done anything on the kobo except import books between when the database was OK and when it was corrupted.

Whatever the problem was, it went away when I upgraded from 4.x to 5.2 and then upgraded all my plugins. Sorry, I didn't try to debug it.

It may have been a race condition between calibre modifying the sqlite database and a plugin modifying it.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register