Mobileread
Libra Image size in Kobo ebooks
#11  DNSB 10-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Quote NuclearWinter
David Vann's Aquarium has drawings of fish at the start of each chapter. On the Kobo they take up almost half the page. The Kindle version has them much smaller, acting as little header images, matching my memory of the paperback version.
I took at a look at Aquarium since it was free through Kobo Plus. I'm not sure if I would call the images chapter headers given the ToC doesn't show any chapters and going by the dropcaps, some of the images are being used as scene breaks. Anyhow, I've attached 4 screenshots from it. Are these similar to what you are seeing?
screen_001.png screen_002.png screen_003.png screen_004.png 

#12  JSWolf 10-22-2020, 05:08 PM
Quote issybird
Fair enough. Although I still think that if the issue’s with the books as downloaded directly from Kobo, that’s a Kobo problem.
It's not a Kobo problem. It's a problem with the eBooks. I have never once read that the conversion of ePub to KePub makes the graphics a problem. I have also never seen such a problem. If there is a problem, it's in the original ePub.

#13  NuclearWinter 10-22-2020, 05:48 PM
Quote DNSB
Anyhow, I've attached 4 screenshots from it. Are these similar to what you are seeing?
Thanks for the screenshots. On my Kobo they extend further across the page. Almost margin to margin. On the Kindle version they are very small in comparison, but I notice now that they are actually quite different. In some cases they look like different fish entirely so presumably there's just a difference between editions.

#14  DNSB 10-22-2020, 06:57 PM
Quote NuclearWinter
Thanks for the screenshots. On my Kobo they extend further across the page. Almost margin to margin. On the Kindle version they are very small in comparison, but I notice now that they are actually quite different. In some cases they look like different fish entirely so presumably there's just a difference between editions.
Since this was a Kobo Plus book, it was a sync to my Forma. Oddly, the image size changes with font size changes. This suggests ungood things about the way the images are styled. I grabbed the free sample from Amazon and it looks pretty much the same as the copy from Kobo.

#15  Uncle Robin 10-22-2020, 07:03 PM
Quote DNSB
Since this was a Kobo Plus book, it was a sync to my Forma. Oddly, the image size changes with font size changes. This suggests ungood things about the way the images are styled.
More evidence the fault lies with the specific book(s), not Kobo, perhaps?

#16  NiLuJe 10-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Didn't Kobo recently change how images were handled in KePubs?

#17  NuclearWinter 10-22-2020, 08:28 PM
Quote DNSB
Since this was a Kobo Plus book, it was a sync to my Forma. Oddly, the image size changes with font size changes. This suggests ungood things about the way the images are styled. I grabbed the free sample from Amazon and it looks pretty much the same as the copy from Kobo.
It seems that the UK and US editions of the book have different drawings. Anyway, opening the book on Kindle devices keeps the size of the images at about the same proportion of the page as looking at the sample on Amazon with my PC. While on the Libra the images go almost from margin to margin. I didn't notice a change when altering font size, but I've refunded the book now so can't test it further (for some reason the Kobo store doesn't have a preview for this book?).

It's not a huge deal, the images that are too big to fit on a page are more annoying, since those lead to an extra page that has nothing but the bottom of the image.

#18  JSWolf 10-22-2020, 08:31 PM
Quote NuclearWinter
It seems that the UK and US editions of the book have different drawings. Anyway, opening the book on Kindle devices keeps the size of the images at about the same proportion of the page as looking at the sample on Amazon with my PC. While on the Libra the images go almost from margin to margin. I didn't notice a change when altering font size, but I've refunded the book now so can't test it further (for some reason the Kobo store doesn't have a preview for this book?).

It's not a huge deal, the images that are too big to fit on a page are more annoying, since those lead to an extra page that has nothing but the bottom of the image.
What firmware version are you running? Maybe you need an update. I've never heard of the problems you are having that cannot be explained. I've explained what you are seeing with The Way of the Kings with the chapter header graphics.

Oh and are you reading ePub or KePub?

#19  NuclearWinter 10-22-2020, 08:39 PM
Quote JSWolf
What firmware version are you running? Maybe you need an update. I've never heard of the problems you are having that cannot be explained. I've explained what you are seeing with The Way of the King with the chapter header graphics.
Latest firmware. 4.24.15676.

The blurry header images in Way of Kings aren't as annoying as the maps and sketches that don't fit on one page.

And the format is whatever format the preview from the store is in. I suppose it's possible that buying the full book would be different, I don't really know how that works. The images in the sample are bad enough that I just bought it on the Kindle instead.

For what it's worth, one of the other books with poor images (The Last Samurai) was from Overdrive, so I assume that one is epub.

#20  JSWolf 10-22-2020, 08:43 PM
Quote NuclearWinter
Latest firmware. 4.24.15676.

The blurry header images in Way of Kings aren't as annoying as the maps and sketches that don't fit on one page.
Are you reading ePub or KePub?

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register