Mobileread
Firmware 4.24.15676
#1  geek1011 09-24-2020, 10:30 PM
Firmware 4.24.15676 has been released.

Automatically posted by kfwproxy.
Reply 

#2  geek1011 09-24-2020, 10:30 PM
Seriously...
Reply 

#3  Uncle Robin 09-24-2020, 10:36 PM
Quote geek1011
Seriously...
LITERALLY my verbatim response to the Telegraph notification!
Reply 

#4  geek1011 09-24-2020, 11:21 PM
I've updated the patches.
Reply 

#5  Uncle Robin 09-24-2020, 11:49 PM
Quote geek1011
I've updated the patches.
Reply 

#6  the.Mtn.Man 09-25-2020, 12:57 AM
So... what changed?
Reply 

#7  geek1011 09-25-2020, 01:08 AM
Quote the.Mtn.Man
So... what changed?
Essentially nothing. It's possible there were a few minor changes in the code itself (e.g. numbers, math operations), but I haven't had a chance to look at that yet.
Reply 

#8  davidfor 09-25-2020, 01:30 AM
You mean you don't want the dictionary problems that you extensively described fixed?

The only purpose of this release is to fix the issues with "prefix_exceptions" in the dictionary.


Update:
For my usual release comments see my post in the 4.24.15672 release thread.

With the addition that calibre version 5 was also released today. This includes support for the 4.24.x firmware versions. But, if you are a MAC user, there is a bug recognising any ereader. There should be an update in a couple of days.
Reply 

#9  geek1011 09-25-2020, 02:11 AM
Quote davidfor
You mean you don't want the dictionary problems that you extensively described fixed?

The only purpose of this release is to fix the issues with "prefix_exceptions" in the dictionary.
I didn't look at the dictionary stuff specifically (those kinds of changes which only affect individual instructions in existing functions are the hardest to notice, and I would have overlooked this too since it's almost be too good to be true to have that fixed so quickly). But yes, I did want those fixed if it was possible and if it was actually an issue rather than not using it correctly (after all, I did figure everything out based on the assembly and some educated guesses for relevant test cases, since there aren't yet any available official v3 dictionaries using prefix_exceptions). In that case, I'm quite pleased with Kobo.

Thanks for the pointer about what changed. It'll save me a lot of time, both for figuring out what changed, and for when I test dictionaries expecting it to do the same thing. Remember that I'm looking at a disassembly, not the original source code, and that doesn't cleanly diff or do things in the most logical manner.



I think this will become my favourite release so far, as almost everything I've personally wanted fixed in the firmware has now been fixed, and I haven't discovered any major issues/regressions with the features I use so far.

Edit: I'll look through the code again and post a more details summary of the changes when I have time (either tomorrow night or two days after that).

Edit 1: I just took a quick peek at the most likely places, and I think I've found the changes. I'll come up with test cases later.

Edit 2: For anyone interested, the most important part is at 0x5a61ac in 15672 and 0x5a643c in 15676. I'll also need to debug one of my scripts, since it should have noticed a side effect of this change automatically.

Edit 3: The bug was in my parsing of the JSON diff of the output of one of my tools (it didn't detect single-character changes properly).

Edit 4: I can confirm this fixes the default behavior for my main test cases . That's all I'm going to check for today. Tomorrow, I'll look at exactly how it does it and what changed.
Reply 

#10  NiLuJe 09-25-2020, 09:12 AM
Just chiming it for another kudos on the update, the crappy^Wsupbar English dictionaries were basically one of my last gripe with the Kobo software for an ex-Kindle user, so, yay \o/.
Reply 

  Next »  Last »  (1/16)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register