Mobileread
Kobo Forma Poor battery life
#1  ururk 12-13-2019, 02:48 AM
I stopped using my Kobo for the summer as I was spending all of my waking time on a project. My battery had discharged, so I charged it, though it seemed to take a long time to charge. After charging I updated the firmware (9/30/19 firmware). I read three books on that charge, about 800 pages total. 3/4 of that time was with 10% backlight. It discharged to 50%, which seemed reasonable.

Well, a week later I pick it up and it's at 7% battery life.

I'm a bit concerned I killed the battery by not keeping it charged above a threshold. I know LiPo batteries are best kept around 75% in storage, and going too low can damage them. I just, well things got busy.

Any thoughts?

#2  HolyAura 12-13-2019, 04:17 AM
Was your Wi-Fi on? Leaving Wi-Fi on may cause some battery drain.

#3  ururk 12-13-2019, 06:21 AM
Quote HolyAura
Was your Wi-Fi on? Leaving Wi-Fi on may cause some battery drain.
Yes - ultimately I don't think it is necessary. I transfer books via Calibre, so should I just turn it off except when an update comes out?

#4  ururk 12-13-2019, 06:37 AM
I was just browsing the new firmware thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...light=firmware) and there was a post about battery life/battery/sync/wifi.

For now I turned Wi-Fi off, will update the firmware when it is over the air, I'm not in a hurry to mess with my config to force it to install.

#5  prom king 11-19-2020, 07:06 AM
I was reading some books that were epub and the battery seemed to be almost unbothered by it (I even turned off any screen glow) but the moment I switched to reading some magazines that were on PDF, battery started draining like crazy.

Anyone else noticed this issue?

#6  compurandom 11-19-2020, 09:20 AM
I've had issues with pdf draining battery as well. Sometimes rendering the PDF is cpu expensive. But if you're scrolling around a lot, that might also cause it, as screen updates eat power.

Sometimes converting or optimizing the pdf will reduce cpu drain. It's easiest on a mac, but you can use gs to do it in linux as well. The converter in calibre breaks formatting which occasionally is an improvement, but wouldn't be my first choice.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register