Mobileread
Glo Kobo Night Mode
#1  KevinShort 05-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Quote yoq
Nightmode for Kobo
Read light-on-dark on your Kobo AuraHD / Aura / Glo / Touch or Mini!

image »

Installation / Removal
Control nightmode
There are two ways to control this mod:
Configuration
In your .kobo folder, there will be a configuration file called nightmode.ini. You can change whether the state should be retained over a restart of the device, the default state after power up and the duration for a long press. The new setting will take effect after a restart.

FAQ
More info
For a more detailed description, the changelog and the source code, visit github:
http://dbeinder.github.io/kobo-nightmode

Credits
This hack works on the Aura HD, Aura, Glo, Touch, and Mini.
[zip] kobo-nightmode_build13.zip (13.8 KB, 6170 views)

#2  Lucas Malor 05-02-2013, 06:03 PM
Is there no "patch" on Kobo?

#3  KevinShort 05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Quote Lucas Malor
Is there not "patch" on Kobo?
I'm afraid I don't understand, what do you mean?

#4  Tiburscyo 05-02-2013, 08:28 PM

for me works fine!
No problems in the transition of pages or reboot

once again, thanks KevinShort

#5  Lucas Malor 05-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Well you're right... :-P I mean the unix program

#6  paola 05-03-2013, 04:46 AM
Quote KevinShort
Here's a new hack that will hopefully benefit some people (I know I use it!).

image »

A little while back I release a very hacky white on black display mode for the Glo. Not long after, yoq put together a much nicer version of the hack, which you can download here.

Installation - for firmware version 2.5.1 ONLY!

A word of caution: This hack could potentially cause your Glo to not boot. If that happens, a factory reset (hold the light button while turning on the device) should resolve any issues. Also, this installer is specifically for firmware 2.5.1. It may or may not work on other versions.

You'll need to install the Kobo Tweaks plugin and create a new file named "kobotweaks.ini" in the .kobo folder on your Glo. Put these lines in kobotweaks.ini:
Code
[Global]
compatFirmware=2.5.1
[CustomCommands]
Toggle Night Mode=tweaks.executeSystemCmd(\"/mnt/onboard/.kobo/nightmode.sh\")
Download "gloNightMode.zip", below. Extract it and put the KoboRoot.tgz file in the .kobo folder on your Glo. After your Glo reboots, open the Library to activate the plugin, then go back to the home screen. Under the "Tools" menu you can now select "Toggle Night Mode" to turn the hack on and off.
Kevin, this looks brilliant - and indeed I guess it would be even more useful for non lit devices - is there any chance it could work on the Mini: if there is, I am happy to play guinea pig!

#7  tshering 05-03-2013, 05:43 AM
Thank you yoq and KevinShort for your impressive work!

Yoq, may I ask you if you could set the resolution values depending on the respective device (800x600, 1024x758, 1024x768, 1440x1080), if you find the time. For establishing the device one could maybe follow the model used in /bin/kobo_config.sh.

#8  tapioco2000 05-03-2013, 06:24 AM
KevinShort, you are my new hero!

It works like a charm!

#9  yoq 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote tshering
Thank you yoq and KevinShort for your impressive work!

Yoq, may I ask you if you could set the resolution values depending on the respective device (800x600, 1024x758, 1024x768, 1440x1080), if you find the time. For establishing the device one could maybe follow the model used in /bin/kobo_config.sh.
That should be possible, I just have a Glo here though, so you'll have to be my tester on other models

#10  tshering 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote yoq
That should be possible, I just have a Glo here though, so you'll have to be my tester on other models
Thank you for the quick response. I can try on my Touch.

Next »  Last »  (1/95)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register