Mobileread
Kobo future firmware feature request thread
#1931  davidfor 11-14-2020, 09:22 PM
Quote compurandom
Its possibly different for every device. Some devices might display that last 5-10% as 0% as emreka suggested. It's not like the battery numbers we get are a stable measurement of the battery charge or an industry standard with meaning.

And I have had devices that would start shutting down immediately when you unplugged them if the battery indicated 10% -- in fact, my kobo has done that to me at least once, but I don't recall if it was at 10% or lower.
Which isn't what @emreka seems to be saying. Prompting to save work, plugin and maybe forcing a shutdown at some point before hitting 0% battery is done. What @emreka is implying is that there are devices out there that use 0% as the trigger point and still have enough power to shutdown safely. If there are, I haven't seen or heard of them.

#1932  JSWolf 11-16-2020, 04:02 PM
Quote emreka
If giving up 10% battery life now means I don't have to lose +50% over 4-5 years then it's not a nuisance, not unless I have to do it manually, which is why I'd like this a seemless feature. It'll be good for my piece of mind, good for my wallet and good for the environment. I don't know if Kobo does this and I can't rely on corporations to do this out of the kindness of their hearts because they have no incentive to do it unless they're promoting it as a feature or the backlash for short-lived batteries would be disastrous for business like it would be in the case of electric cars.

By reserve power I meant the capacity hidden from the user or not charged. Like 0-100% actually being 5-95%. It might not be the correct term if you want to be pedantic but I thought it'd get the point across.
My H2O is 6-years old. I have never bothered doing any battery shenanigans and the battery is working well. You don't need to fool around to get a long life from the battery,

#1933  Barruel 12-16-2020, 06:39 PM
Hi.

I have a firmware feature request.

Nowadays I'm doing all my reading in my Claras, but I have had 2 2015 Kindle Paperwhites in the past. One is still running an ancient firmware version, but the other (which sadly died a year ago) ran a 5.12.whatever firmware.

I miss a feature such later firmware had, which was the ability to set reading settings "profiles". I remember I could set font, spacing margins, justification, etc. and store it in a profile. I could even give a custom name to it.

I don't remember if these "profiles" were global profiles or worked only on a per-book basis, but that was a nice way of testing new fonts and spacing without losing comfortable settings. Now I'm doing it by keeping one of my Claras as a reference I can always come back to, but it would be nice to have the profiles feature in them. Ideally it would include also advanced settings for sideloaded fonts, just as the patches allow.

Is it realistic to expect something like that in future firmwares or am I asking too much?

Best regards.

#1934  PeterT 12-16-2020, 06:43 PM
You have the classic issue that this is strictly an unofficial forum for Kobo users with no guarantee that Kobo will ever see this (or any other) request.

#1935  Barruel 12-16-2020, 06:46 PM
Quote PeterT
You have the classic issue that this is strictly an unofficial forum for Kobo users with no guarantee that Kobo will ever see this (or any other) request.
I see.

So no Kobo rep is monitoring this? Has any feature requested here ever actually made into the firmware?

#1936  davidfor 12-16-2020, 08:43 PM
Quote Barruel
So no Kobo rep is monitoring this? Has any feature requested here ever actually made into the firmware?
There are probably Kobo employees here, but, they are not here in an official . If they are looking at this thread, it will be only for curiosity. If you want a new function, report it directly to them via the feedback on their site.

Plenty of the suggestion made in this thread have been implemented in the firmware. Whether it was because of the post here, I don't know.

For you suggestion, when you change the font settings, two things happen:

Based on the amount of discussion here on fonts and the related settings, I must be very unusual. I rarely change the font. And almost as rarely change the size. Most of the times I have changed it this year has been to test something related to a post made here. The other reason is when swapping between epubs and kepubs. The scaling used is different, and needs changes to have the same apparent size. When swapping between these formats, I normally make a change in a book to save the settings so I can get back to it easily. But, it is just changing the size a couple of steps and the margins by one step.

#1937  compurandom 12-16-2020, 09:06 PM
I wish I could (temporarily?) disable saving font changes to the default profile while keeping the changes in the current book.

#1938  Uncle Robin 12-16-2020, 09:32 PM
Quote compurandom
I wish I could (temporarily?) disable saving font changes to the default profile while keeping the changes in the current book.
This! This times the number of electrons in the Universe, THIS.

#1939  Wallace Lee 12-18-2020, 04:47 AM
Quote Barruel
Hi.

I have a firmware feature request.

I miss a feature such later [Paperwhite's] firmware had, which was the ability to set reading settings "profiles". I remember I could set font, spacing margins, justification, etc. and store it in a profile. I could even give a custom name to it.

I asked for this multiple times in here.
I also asked one day that a Kobo developer was replying to various proposals.
Most proposals done by the community would give issues we don't know about, and the guy explained them while replying to most messages.
But he ignored mine

Saving reading [font sizes+thickness] settings for books would be awesome.
Tuning the light is annoying too. I don't see no reason in the world why we can't save some lighining profiles and give them custom names ('bed', 'kitchen', 'work', etc).

#1940  davidfor 12-18-2020, 05:10 AM
Quote Wallace Lee
I asked for this multiple times in here.
I also asked one day that a Kobo developer was replying to various proposals.
Most proposals done by the community would give issues we don't know about, and the guy explained them while replying to most messages.
Where was this? It has been a long time since a Kobo employee has been here openly. Your join date is July 2017 and I can only think of one Kobo employee who might have posted since then.
But he ignored mine
Saving reading [font sizes+thickness] settings for books would be awesome.
The font size is already saved for a book if you set it (see my post above). The weight is not, but, I'm not sure if that is something you would change frequently.
Tuning the light is annoying too. I don't see no reason in the world why we can't save some lighining profiles and give them custom names ('bed', 'kitchen', 'work', etc).
The reason is simple: Money.

It costs to develop new function. And it then costs to maintain that function. And answer questions about how it works. Because of that, they will only add function that they believe will benefit a good percentage of their users. And help to sell their devices.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (194/196)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register