Mobileread
The Big List of Android eBook Reader Apps
#11  tamole 06-25-2010, 06:02 PM
This is my first post and let me say how nice it is to find so many kindred spirits! I started reading ebooks on my Palm more than 10 years ago and have been hooked on ebooks ever since. When Palm abandoned it's old OS a while back I bought a Blackberry and have been sorely disappointed with the ereader software available for it. I will be getting an Android soon and am pleased to see the iReader software supports autoscroll. I agree with the Tonyx3. When you read books on small devices, it's very distracting to have to swipe the pages every few seconds. I would think this feature would be a no-brainer for ereader software for small devices. I hope software developers are reading this and take heed!

#12  AnemicOak 06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Quote tamole
This is my first post and let me say how nice it is to find so many kindred spirits! I started reading ebooks on my Palm more than 10 years ago and have been hooked on ebooks ever since. When Palm abandoned it's old OS a while back I bought a Blackberry and have been sorely disappointed with the ereader software available for it. I will be getting an Android soon and am pleased to see the iReader software supports autoscroll. I agree with the Tonyx3. When you read books on small devices, it's very distracting to have to swipe the pages every few seconds. I would think this feature would be a no-brainer for ereader software for small devices. I hope software developers are reading this and take heed!
That's fine if it's optional. I know personally I can't stand scrolling of any kind and would much rather just tap the edge of the screen (ala Aldiko).

#13  lcalvin 06-26-2010, 12:36 AM
I just got a Motorola Backflip Android phone and am in love with iReader.
It reads secure eReader (.pdb) and Mobipocket secure (.prc). The Mobipocket is a hack - you put in the PIN as opposed to using the actual Mobipocket reader software which is device dependent.

And it autoscrolls - not only that it actually will autoscroll fast enough that I can use it, and that's the first time I've EVER found software that will do that. (Backflip AT&T is crippled Android - must use Marketplace apps unless you go through some slightly more complicated steps - i.e. download the developer stuff.)

Fonts and colors are very customizable.

#14  FarWest 06-28-2010, 05:10 PM
Engadget is now reporting that the Kindle app for android is now available.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/28/kindle-for-android-now-available/

#15  tamole 07-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Quote AnemicOak
That's fine if it's optional. I know personally I can't stand scrolling of any kind and would much rather just tap the edge of the screen (ala Aldiko).
Choice is always good!

#16  abenderx 07-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Hi all -
A couple things I thought I'd throw out here:
- On Kindle for Android: I downloaded and tested it last week, only to find that it ONLY allows for Amazon purchase/download/read. if you have a collection of PRC, MOBI, PDB or whatever, you CAN NOT import your books into this reader no matter what the format. HUGE BUMMER. I was very interested in this app because of the issue I bring up next.
- One (other) issue that is of some importance to me (I spent almost 5 years on several WinMo devices reading with MobiPocket) is simple text formatting - boldface and italics specifically. The fact is, NONE of the Android readers are capable of displaying anything other then basic text unless you go into the faux-browser mode that doesn't do paging or anything else properly. I've tried FBreader and iReader, AEPreader, you name it and I've tried it. None of them render bold or italics. I may have been spoiled by Mobi, and I curse the day Amazon bought them and halted all new platform development to push everyone into Kindles, but I very much miss the days of simply converting an ebook on the desktop and having it display as expected on the phone. Hopefully soon someone will get this 'feature.'
iReader is my choice after spending a lot of time with fbReader prior to switching again. I say this given its handling of PRC, PDB and even upcoming ePub. I also like the ability to utilize the volume toggle as page up/down. It's a great interface, my favorite honestly - the developer hasn't made an update in some time, but I keep hoping!

#17  Dopedangel 07-17-2010, 12:53 AM
My problem with most the epub readers in android so far is that they all ask me to import books and make their own library. So once I do that I can not open those book with another reader. What the hell if I wanted to be tied down to a reader I would have bought
a kindle.

#18  jschall 07-17-2010, 03:01 PM
There is a very nice new version of Laputa Reader available on the Android Market:
http://laputareader.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Laputa-Book-Reader
Its reading features are fairly basic. But one standout feature I love is the animated page flip. And it auto-scrolls!

Another nice feature is that it directly downloads epub books to your sd card from two built-in catalogues - Feedbooks and Blazer Books (http://www.blazerbook.com/ http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Blazer-Books).

It also can import non-DRM .epubs from your SD card.

A nice addition to reading on your Android device.

#19  bugeyed 07-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Still looking for a reader that will store the books in internal mem & not the SD card. I know most prefer the opposite, but with an Android tablet there is often enough internal mem to handle a collection. Aldiko would be fine if it didn't take over the SD card. The reader on the Pandigital Novel uses internal mem., but it doesn't have some features that Aldiko has.
Cheers,
kev

#20  abenderx 07-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Dopedangel - I can tell you for sure that neither fbReader or iReader create a library beyond the listing of their respective "home" directory on the sd card. For fbReader believe it was /sdcard/books and for iReader it's /sdcard/iReader. I shuffle books in and out of the respective directory and that's all there is to it.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/42)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register