Mobileread
Recommend App that works well with Calibre?
#1  FrustratedReader 06-16-2019, 01:07 PM
I've Aldiko (OK for ePubs) and Bluefire (sort of does PDFS and ePubs).
The problem is that it's awkward to import ebooks from Calibre via USB. It's even more awkward to update ebooks I write and edit (via LibreOffice Writer -> Calibre).

I'd have my SD card as external storage, but some older apps don't work at all with external SD card even for data. So I've reformatted the SD Card as "expanding" internal storage.
I have a 6" Android phone, 7" Android tablet as well as a variety of eReaders.

So what epub app for Android (free as I have no payment method for Google Playstore and without adverts) works with Calibre to be able to install / remove ebooks without using evil menus on the app?

I don't usually have my phone online (and never other than WiFi), so the adverts in Aldiko or Bluefire (or both?) are rare.

I'd like annotation. That seems to be a premium feature on Aldiko. However simply working like Kindle/Kobo/Sony/Nook with Calibre without annotation would be fine.
I'm not interested in connecting to servers etc, only USB just the way I use the Kindle/Kobo/Sony/Nook eink ereaders.

I removed the Amazon Kindle App as it's trying to "connect home" even when it's not explicitly opened and with Mobiile data disabled. Which results in pop-up error messages.

Both Adobe Editions DRM and Amazon Kindle app seem to be "spyware". I've no wish to report what page I'm on or book is in use.

#2  Nausicaa 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM
Moon+ Reader has an option to sync to gdrive but I never used that option. I don't think you need a special app to connect your epubs, file managers work well, apps can just sync to a folder that you sync files into. You can setup a personal server to do this as well.

#3  FrustratedReader 06-18-2019, 11:00 AM
I don't care for sync or Cloud. Just loading and deleting via the laptop Calibre GUI.

I don't want to use a file manager or badly designed App menu. I want an App on Android that as far as the App and Calibre is concerned, is like a physical ereader. Connect to USB, make change in Calibre (add or remove book), eject and then simply open the app and find the book is in the "app" homescreen or "Library" under recent.
Apps that only "import" from somewhere else on the phone storage or need the phone's filemanagler are smelling of DRM or incompetence.

I think moon+ you need the pro version to get rid of adverts and it costs money?

Seems bloated.

#4  pazos 06-18-2019, 11:27 AM
Quote FrustratedReader

I don't want to use a file manager or badly designed App menu. I want an App on Android that as far as the App and Calibre is concerned, is like a physical ereader. Connect to USB, make change in Calibre (add or remove book), eject and then simply open the app and find the book is in the "app" homescreen or "Library" under recent.
Apps that only "import" from somewhere else on the phone storage or need the phone's filemanagler are smelling of DRM or incompetence.
1. linux eink ereaders are using a usb mass storage module instead of android MTP. Don't expect the same reliability.

2. Google restricted the interaction with files. First in 4.4 (removing the write access to places outside /sdcard) and again in 7.1 (removing the possibility of open files from other places without creating a copy (in cache or importing)

3. Apps that only import are following google best practices. For an application POV having a homescreen or library often needs some kind of preproccesing. Blame google, do not blame app developers.

Saying that, KOReader can do what you want if you:

1. set the home folder to some folder inside /sdcard, like /sdcard/books
2. configure calibre to send books to that specific folder

The worst thing that can happen is that your history gets filled with non available ebooks.

Other good alternatives are Coolreader, Librera Pro and Readera (the first two are free software, available at Fdroid, the third is freeware)

#5  FrustratedReader 06-19-2019, 06:24 AM
Thanks for suggestions.

Yes, Android is still beta and still more annoying than Win 3.0. Google bought it in and development of features users need has been glacial.

My SD card is set to extend external storage. However it appears to mount. Calibre uses "Books" to store books. Adding & removal has no effect to Aldiko. You can select Books on File Import on Aldiko and 24 books takes more than 10 minutes.
The problem is identifying and removing the older versions imported before.

It seems everything on Android is designed only for Cloud Sales. Not for personal use.
The exception seems to be "Jota Text Editor" which is easy to exchange the text files as they are easily added or removed on the Laptop.

#6  FrustratedReader 06-19-2019, 06:28 AM
How is KOreader installed on Android?

#7  pazos 06-19-2019, 01:14 PM
- Enable the installation of apps outside Google Play (aka: unkown sources)

Now you have three methods to install the application.

1. From your device: go to https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases and download the latest koreader-android-arm package from assets. Once it is downloaded just open the apk like any other download and the system will ask you for installation.

2. From your computer (needs adb, usb debugging and your phone connected through usb): go to https://github.com/koreader/koreader/releases and download the latest koreader-android-arm package from assets. Once it is downloaded install it on your phone with
Code
adb install koreader-android-arm-whatever.apk
3. From your device: install Fdroid application. Once installed just search and install KOReader (this is always the latest stable release, but comes without translations!)

Recommended option is #1 since it allows you to update to latest nightlies at your will from inside the application and it is fully translated to a bunch of languages.

BTW, KOReader uses normal folders, not some sort of database. So If your calibre setup creates new folders under "books" you will see these folders on KOReader too.

Inside each folder you will see the ebooks. KOReader can be customized to show different information on file browser, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/wiki/File-manager

#8  FrustratedReader 06-19-2019, 01:59 PM
Yes, though why doesn't the developer(s) host the build(s) somewhere sensible?
Git is for collaboration and developers. This trend to use it for end user distribution isn't sensible.

Nor do I want an application that is ever changing. Sensible, tested, staged releases. Mozilla, Microsoft, Google etc have lost the plot on software development, treating ordinary users like an inhouse test group!

I'm looking at Coolreader.

I've done the adb / USB stuff with an Android App I wrote and tested on a 7" tablet, so I'll maybe look at KOreader tomorrow.
Thanks again

#9  pazos 06-19-2019, 02:34 PM
Quote FrustratedReader
Yes, though why doesn't the developer(s) host the build(s) somewhere sensible?
Git is for collaboration and developers. This trend to use it for end user distribution isn't sensible.

Nor do I want an application that is ever changing. Sensible, tested, staged releases. Mozilla, Microsoft, Google etc have lost the plot on software development, treating ordinary users like an inhouse test group!
Lol, what?. WHAT? what-what-what?

KOReader builds are hosted on official repo http://build.koreader.rocks/download/stable/ and http://build.koreader.rocks/download/nightly/. If you carefully check the signatures they should match with github releases because they're the same build.

KOReader software does not change unless you choose to install an update (like any other application on the Play Store), but you (or anyone else) can check that we're not logging sensible information and/or compromising you in any other way beyond random bugs (like any other software).

Are you aware that all release builds in android are signed with a private key and when signatures don't match Android will refuse to install the update?

Could you please explain why the "trend to use Github to host releases isn't sensible" ¿?

And yes, KOReader is a rolling-release software relying on user feedback for most improvements and bug reports (see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues), since people commiting work don't have all devices supported by the software and/or don't use all features that the software has.

#10  FrustratedReader 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM
This isn't the place to argue SW dev & distribution practices.

I'll give KOreader a go.

Thanks for advice.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register