Mobileread
New Leaf Runoff Vote for July 2019 • Naturally Gifted: Prodigies
#11  Victoria 06-13-2019, 07:37 AM
Quote Bookpossum
It looks as if baseball is going to beat mathematics and spelling! However, I plan on reading The Man Who Knew Infinity anyway, so thanks for the nomination Victoria. .
Good, Bookpossum I’m glad you found a book you’re interested in.

Your comment brought back fond memories of school in June. It was soooo hard to sit through math and spelling, as we looked out longingly at the baseball diamond

#12  issybird 06-13-2019, 08:12 AM
Quote Victoria
Good, Bookpossum I’m glad you found a book you’re interested in.

Your comment brought back fond memories of school in June. It was soooo hard to sit through math and spelling, as we looked out longingly at the baseball diamond
My favorite school/baseball memory is how they'd let us watch the Yankees afternoon playoff games on the classroom television. I miss daytime baseball; there's not nearly enough of it anymore.

#13  gmw 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM
I always wondered how so many people got interested in baseball - now I know: School or baseball, your choice kids. Brainwashing!

#14  issybird 06-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Quote gmw
I always wondered how so many people got interested in baseball - now I know: School or baseball, your choice kids. Brainwashing!
Oh, please. Baseball's a doddle compared to the incomprehensible and interminable snoozefest of cricket.

#15  Bookpossum 06-13-2019, 09:04 AM
The really incomprehensible game is Gridiron! But I must admit that cricket is all rather mysterious too, to me anyway.

#16  CRussel 06-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Quote gmw
Quote issybird
Oh, please. Baseball's a doddle compared to the incomprehensible and interminable snoozefest of cricket.
Quote Bookpossum
The really incomprehensible game is Gridiron! But I must admit that cricket is all rather mysterious too, to me anyway.
I sense a theme possibility here, something around "That's not cricket!"

And yes, I find cricket a bit opaque, but I am, slowly, figuring it out.

#17  Bilbo1967 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM
Cricket explanation for foreigners:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in.

There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!
It's quite simple really!

Personally, any game with built in meal breaks has to be good. And when you get terms such as silly point, long leg, cow corner and googly thrown in as well, then what's not to like?

#18  CRussel 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Quote Bilbo1967
Cricket explanation for foreigners:

It's quite simple really!

Personally, any game with built in meal breaks has to be good. And when you get terms such as silly point, long leg, cow corner and googly thrown in as well, then what's not to like?
Meal breaks are good, especially if you're playing a 5 day Test match! But it's the silly terms that completely flummox me. It would help if there were TV matches available here, where I could start to connect the expressions with what actually happened on the pitch. But short of finding a way to steal^H^H^H watch BBC here, I'm pretty much out of luck.

#19  Victoria 06-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Quote Bookpossum
Cricket is still mysterious to me too. But I keep feeling I should learn about it, because it’s enjoyed in so many countries.

‘Gridiron’ is new to me, but Google says it’s a term for what we call ‘football’. If so, and you enjoy strategy, I highly recommend getting to know the NFL (American professional league). It’s the ultimate team sport!

It’s so much fun. It looks confusing, but is very easy to understand once you know a few simple rules. And exciting! (PS - skip Canadian football - it’s boring because our rules stink )

Have to add a ps that it’s a guilty pleasure because football can be a pretty rough game.

#20  Catlady 06-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Baseball. Only baseball. I have spoken.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register