Mobileread
Lifespan of the E-ink monitor(screen)
#11  Waiting4somethin 03-03-2018, 08:45 AM
Quote Richwood
I have Kindle 1 and early Sony ebook readers that have screens that still work great with no noticeable deterioration so life is at least 10 years+. No idea if number of page turns can wear out a screen but it seems like the switches on the early readers fail before the screen does.
I think it’s a different situation, minimal page turns vs continuous scrolling someone might do on an eink monitor. If you’re reading that is a hundred screen updates in a session, vs on the monitor maybe as many updates in just a few motions. If the buttons are wearing out just from page turns they must be bad.

I don’t expect an eink monitor to last many years if used a lot every day.

#12  rcentros 03-10-2018, 04:48 AM
Quote digitalnut
Am I Wrong?
Your figures don't seem to jive with reality. I buy basically nothing but older used eReaders (too many of them) and the only way I've seen eInk screens "wear out" is when they're broken. I guess it's possible they're degrading, but I sure don't notice it.

#13  Richwood 03-11-2018, 12:49 AM
Quote rcentros
Your figures don't seem to jive with reality. I buy basically nothing but older used eReaders (too many of them) and the only way I've seen eInk screens "wear out" is when they're broken. I guess it's possible they're degrading, but I sure don't notice it.
Agreed 100% Rcentros. I have multiple Kindle and Sony ebook readers from the K1 through the K4 and K5 as well as the Sony PRS-505 and PRS-X50 models and I cannot see appreciable screen degradation or screen performance differences for the E-ink Pearl and later screens. Hard to tell any e-ink Pearl screen from the K3 (Kindle Keyboard) onward to the current Kindle Generation 8 Basic apart, at least to my eyes. All have identical 167 DPI resolution.

Latest 300 DPI e-ink screens on Kindle and Kobo readers, which I also have, are a bit sharper but the difference is minor at reasonable reading distances with screen lighting off or minimized, at least to my 73 year old eyes.

#14  Waiting4somethin 03-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Quote rcentros
His post is about eink monitors, where the refreshing must be hundreds or thousands more times more than an ereader.

Or are you using your ereaders as monitors? (If so how frequently? And I’d like to know what you’re experiences are)

#15  StevieJStarkey 09-09-2018, 11:34 PM
I stumbled here trying to find how long an e-Ready is supposed to last.

I have a Kindle WiFi. I haven't used it much. I then left it in its box for maybe a year or two, and now it's simply impossible to use. I have to refresh 5 to 10 times to start being able to read. So maybe by just not using your e-Reader or e-Screen for too long (drained battery or not connected), it can damage it.

Some interesting link https://e-ink-reader.ru/eink_degradation_en.php

#16  -Lesnikus- 09-10-2018, 06:25 AM
For Dasung Paperlike you can buy a separate matrix module for the price $ 350: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.w4004-17843252791.12.4c4d56f12GQyT8&id=544787303115. So do not worry. When the e-ink monitor breaks, you can buy a replacement matrix. Or developers release a new, improved model that you want to buy.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register