Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Mystery, Suspense & Thrillers
#11  BetterRead 01-03-2017, 03:56 PM
Cold Granite, the first Logan McRae mystery by Stuart McBride, is currently $0.99 at Amazon US.
($4.99 at B&N, Kobo, and Google.)

Spoiler Warning below

Stuart MacBride’s Number One bestselling crime series opens with this award-winning debut. DS Logan McRae and the police in Aberdeen hunt a child killer who stalks the frozen streets.

Winter in Aberdeen: murder, mayhem and terrible weather…

It’s DS Logan McRae’s first day back on the job after a year off on the sick, and it couldn’t get much worse. Three-year-old David Reid’s body is discovered in a ditch: strangled, mutilated and a long time dead. And he’s only the first. There’s a serial killer stalking the Granite City and the local media are baying for blood.

Soon the dead are piling up in the morgue almost as fast as the snow on the streets, and Logan knows time is running out. More children are going missing. More are going to die. And if Logan isn’t careful, he could end up joining them.
FYI, I just finished reading this a week ago and thought it was very good. Well-written, atmospheric, suspenseful, but not for the faint of heart. I've already added the next in the series to my TBR pile.

#12  tch65721 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Several Rabbi Small Mysteries are currently $1.99 on Amazon.com
I know the first four are collected in an omnibus I paid only three or four dollars for in the recent past... Now every day is offered at $1.99 each.

Friday the Rabbi Slept Late
Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry
Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home
Monday the Rabbi Took Off
Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
Wednesday the Rabbi Got Wet
Thursday the Rabbi Walked Out

#13  Wearever 01-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Quote Mort1997
Enjoy! and thanks for the Karma
Your welcome !

#14  badgoodDeb 01-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Quote tch65721
I know the first four are collected in an omnibus I paid only three or four dollars for in the recent past... Now every day is offered at $1.99 each.

Thanks - I might as well round out my collection. (Would rather have these singles than the omnibus I just bought, but I won't rebuy the two I needed in the omnibus.)

#15  Little.Egret 01-04-2017, 08:41 PM
Free

Who Pays the Piper?: An Ernest Lamb Mystery
by Patricia Wentworth

Lucas Dale, new owner of King’s Bourne, was flirting with danger when he showed his priceless collection of pearls to the guests assembled in his period salon. But when, under threat, he forced lovely Susan Lenox to break her engagement and consent to marry him, he started a train of events that inevitably led to murder, shattering the quiet of the English village.

Not US
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FG70TNE/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FG70TNE/

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01FG70TNE/

#16  Red Falcon 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Quote tch65721

Friday the Rabbi Slept Late
Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry
Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home
Monday the Rabbi Took Off
Tuesday the Rabbi Saw Red
Wednesday the Rabbi Got Wet
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=Rabbi+Small+Mysteries&rh=n%3A1331400 11%2Ck%3ARabbi+Small+Mysteries&qid=1483623743&sort =price-asc-rank

#17  sufue 01-05-2017, 10:49 AM
The first two titles in Donna Leon's excellent (IMO) Commissario Brunetti series have dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US. They do occasionally go on sale, but not super often, like once a year, and usually not for very long, so if you've missed them before, here's another chance.

Death at La Fenice, #1
link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007SIV41G
Spoiler Warning below

Death at La Fenice is the first novel in Donna Leon’s internationally best-selling Commissario Guido Brunetti series. During intermission at the famed La Fenice opera house in Venice, a notoriously difficult conductor is poisoned, and suspects abound. Brunetti, a native Venetian, sets out to unravel the mystery behind the high-profile murder. To do so, he he calls on his knowledge of Venice, its culture, and its dirty politics. Revenge, corruption, and even Italian cuisine play a role. The novel that started it all, Death at La Fenice is an entrancing mystery, rich in atmosphere.

“Few detective writers create so vivid, inclusive and convincing a narrative as Donna Leon, the expatriate American with the Venetian heart. . . . One of the most exquisite and subtle detective series ever.” —The Washington Post

Death in a Strange Country, #2
link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0097CWKRS
Spoiler Warning below

Early one morning Commissario Guido Brunetti of the Venice Police confronts a grisly sight when the body of a young man is fished out of a fetid canal. All the clues point to a violent mugging, but for Brunetti the motive of robbery seems altogether too convenient. When something is discovered in the victim’s apartment that suggests the existence of a high-level conspiracy, Brunetti becomes convinced that somebody, somewhere, is taking great pains to provide a ready-made solution to the crime.

Rich with atmosphere and marvelous plotting, Death in a Strange Country is a superb novel in Donna Leon’s chilling Venetian mystery series.

#18  GeoffR 01-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Quote BetterRead
Cold Granite, the first Logan McRae mystery by Stuart McBride, is currently $0.99 at Amazon US.
($4.99 at B&N, Kobo, and Google.)

Spoiler Warning below

Stuart MacBride’s Number One bestselling crime series opens with this award-winning debut. DS Logan McRae and the police in Aberdeen hunt a child killer who stalks the frozen streets.

Winter in Aberdeen: murder, mayhem and terrible weather…

It’s DS Logan McRae’s first day back on the job after a year off on the sick, and it couldn’t get much worse. Three-year-old David Reid’s body is discovered in a ditch: strangled, mutilated and a long time dead. And he’s only the first. There’s a serial killer stalking the Granite City and the local media are baying for blood.

Soon the dead are piling up in the morgue almost as fast as the snow on the streets, and Logan knows time is running out. More children are going missing. More are going to die. And if Logan isn’t careful, he could end up joining them.
FYI, I just finished reading this a week ago and thought it was very good. Well-written, atmospheric, suspenseful, but not for the faint of heart. I've already added the next in the series to my TBR pile.
Thanks, Cold Granite is on special at $0.99 in Australia and New Zealand too (It is the same price at all retailers here though, not just Amazon.)

#19  ATDrake 01-06-2017, 03:17 AM
X-link to the Kobo Discounts thread for a mystery-focused Kobo Canada sale (likely matched at other Canadian retailers, may or may not also be matched in the US):

Until January 19th, “Electrifing reads to make your heart race” offers mysteries and thrillers for $4.99 CAD and under, with authors such as Agatha Christie for $1.99 and up, Elizabeth Peters, Len Deighton, Camilla Läckberg for $2.99 and up, and many more.

NB: For Christie, there's a 3-book bundle that will give you 3 Poirot tales for the price of one @ $1.99 (The Mysterious Affair at Styles is not public domain in Canada, yet). And a similarly, a 3-book Marple and a 5-book complete Tommy & Tuppence bundle (The Secret Adversary is also not PD for Canadians) for $4.99 each, which will likely be cheaper than buying the corresponding individual novels.

Last year, I bought and read Swedish author Joakim Zander's topical current affairs political/espionage thriller The Swimmer which is included in the sale at the $2.99 mark, and can give it a recommend if you think you might be into its sort of story.

#20  Dr. Drib 01-06-2017, 09:53 AM
Quote ATDrake
X-link to the Kobo Discounts thread for a mystery-focused Kobo Canada sale (likely matched at other Canadian retailers, may or may not also be matched in the US):

Until January 19th, “Electrifing reads to make your heart race” offers mysteries and thrillers for $4.99 CAD and under, with authors such as Agatha Christie for $1.99 and up, Elizabeth Peters, Len Deighton, Camilla Läckberg for $2.99 and up, and many more.

NB: For Christie, there's a 3-book bundle that will give you 3 Poirot tales for the price of one @ $1.99 (The Mysterious Affair at Styles is not public domain in Canada, yet). And a similarly, a 3-book Marple and a 5-book complete Tommy & Tuppence bundle (The Secret Adversary is also not PD for Canadians) for $4.99 each, which will likely be cheaper than buying the corresponding individual novels.

Last year, I bought and read Swedish author Joakim Zander's topical current affairs political/espionage thriller The Swimmer which is included in the sale at the $2.99 mark, and can give it a recommend if you think you might be into its sort of story.

I'm sorry, but I have to ask this question:

Can Kobo be held liable for any death that might occur due to "Electrifing reads to make your heart race"?

I'm especially concerned about elderly readers and anyone with a pacemaker.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/378)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register