Mobileread
Tablets, eReaders, Media Players
#11  BearMountainBooks 01-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Quote Katie1
Macy & KMart/Sears is Closing stores. Best Buy has ALL their Returns...Open Box on 1/2 the marked price. Don't seem to me they made or are making anything.
We looked at the open box deals and frankly, they didn't take much off. Best Buy tends to be more expensive than other outlets for 50 percent off puts them in the ballpark with factory refurb'd units from other places. They do have an ebay store (and that is what they sell there). I did consider one of their open box deals, but it would have been about 100 dollars more than I ended up spending.

I'm on a few forums/bargain forums and it seemed to me that the stores most mentioned were Amazon (the echo and dots were big gifts. Even the neighbor mentioned getting 6 for the holidays) and Best Buy. On another forum a friend mentioned buying a 600 dollar tv and...I think a phone. It's all anecdotal evidence (for fun really. I have no stake in either company.)

#12  Barbara1955 01-06-2017, 12:59 PM
HUH? ALL Open Box items are 50% OFF How do you get they not taking much off? IF you Buy a PC that's Marked $300... with 50% off it Now $150!

#13  BearMountainBooks 01-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Quote Katie1
HUH? ALL Open Box items are 50% OFF How do you get they not taking much off? IF you Buy a PC that's Marked $300... with 50% off it Now $150!
Because the equivalent machines were already cheaper than theirs at fry's, newegg and ...somewhere else we looked. So when they took 50 percent off it made them competitive in pricing, but I didn't consider it 50 percent off since their starting price was higher than everyone elses. That said, there was one model that was quite competitive in their ebay store (open box) and it was in the running. I wanted the one we purchased because it was cheaper AND it didn't have a number keyboard.

#14  Barbara1955 01-06-2017, 01:08 PM
You got it cause of the Keyboard?? Really? You do know keyboards can be sold by themselves. I had my PC for 3+years on the 5th keyboard. My son same age on it 10th!

#15  BearMountainBooks 01-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Price, keyboard, memory and hard drive, reputation of the Lenovo. I cannot use a separate keyboard because of my work area. I type on my lap and generally on the move. The number pad forces my hands off center because the mouse is moved over on many laptops that have it. I have replaced keyboards because I wear them out. I type A LOT when I'm writing a novel. I need a very reliable workhorse.

Worst case I could try working at a desk or table, but why mess with something that is working very well for me? I do work at a table sometimes, but generally only when doing artwork so the keyboard is very important to me.

#16  Manabi 01-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Quote Katie1
Macy & KMart/Sears is Closing stores. Best Buy has ALL their Returns...Open Box on 1/2 the marked price. Don't seem to me they made or are making anything.
Kmart/Sears will be lucky to make it through 2017 alive. They've been on a downward spiral for a very long time. That latest 150 store closure they announced is unlikely to be the last, and they're starting to sell off their brands (they also announced they're selling the Craftsman brand to Stanley). Frankly, I will be seriously surprised if they don't file bankruptcy this year, and if they do a chapter 7 (selling off assets, not a restructuring) is highly likely.

Macy's is struggling, but in comparison to Kmart/Sears they're doing great. Admittedly, in comparison to Kmart/Sears almost everyone is doing great.

#17  Alohamora 01-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Quote Katie1

No sure why you buy a Used PC but wont except a PC out of the store that at least has a warranty. Or even an Open Box PC.
I'd rather buy a used business class PC off ebay than a cheap consumer grade new or refurb. I've had very good luck with the used Dell desktops and Lenovo laptops I've bought over the last 15 years. I generally have gotten about 5 years use out of a PC. Obviously old tech, but all I need are basic functions.

#18  Freehunter 01-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Saw this in a consumer segment, thought someone might find useful if they have a device that supports Quick Charge. One port is SmartID and the other is SmartID and/or Quick Charge.

Reviewed 4 stars, mostly 5 star reviews but mixed with complaints that fails after about 2 months. I have a different iClever charger and have not had any problems yet.

Quick Charge 3.0, iClever BoostCube+ Qualcomm QC 3.0 30W Dual USB Wall Charger with SmartID Tech for Galaxy S7 S6 Edge, Note 5/4, LG G5 G4, HTC One 10 M9, Nexus 6, iPhone 7 SE 6S 6, iPad and More

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6VQ958

Price: $49.99 Sale: $16.99 see link below for additional discount.

Specifications:
Input: AC100-240V 50/60Hz Max 1A
Output 1: DC 5V/2.4A(SmartID)
Output 2: DC 3.6V-6.5V/2.4A, 6.5V-9V/2A, 9V-12V/1.5A (SmartID & QC 3.0)

Note:
Only data/sync charging cable can activate quick charging.

Review below includes code to take off additional $6.00 on one charger.

Charge your phone 4 times faster for $11 | WKYC.com
http://www.wkyc.com/money/personal-finance/ways-to-save/charge-your-tech-and-phone-4x-faster-for-11/379833023

#19  Ravensknight 01-07-2017, 06:18 PM
Are affiliate links allowed? I thought those were no longer allowed at MR.

Because this is the actual link that Freehunter provides:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6VQ958?tag=mr060-20

#20  KyBunnies 01-07-2017, 06:22 PM
Quote Ravensknight
Are affiliate links allowed? I thought those were no longer allowed at MR.

Because this is the actual link that Freehunter provides:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E6VQ958?tag=mr060-20
That is an affiliated link for MobileRead. They added something a few (several/half a year) months back. So every Amazon has the MR tag.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/26)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register