Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Christian Interest
#911  Difflugia 06-23-2019, 12:49 AM
I went looking for free books and found a rather random assortment.

A Year of Living Prayerfully by Jared Brock
B&N
Amazon
Kobo

This first ebook is a mainstream Christian response to A. J. Jacobs' The Year of Living Biblically, which was a tongue-in-cheek look at trying to follow all of the instructions in the Bible that started the ongoing trend in "Year of Living..." books. It looks to be self-published ("Steward Publishing" only seems to publish this ebook), but the original was published by Tyndale.

Saints volume 1: The Standard of Truth by the LDS Church
B&N
Amazon

The LDS Church is in the process of publishing a four-volume history of the Church called Saints. This first volume was published in September 2018. The book is free right now, but I can't tell if it's temporary (some sites list a non-zero "retail price"). The second volume can be read online, but doesn't look to be otherwise available.

Another Mormon find is the first six volumes in an in-progress New Testament translation from Brigham Young University. According to the introductions:

Each volume in this series contains a new working translation of the New Testament. Calling this a new “rendition” clarifies that it does not seek to replace the authorized KJV adopted by the LDS Church as its official English text. Rather, it aims to enhance readers’ understanding conceptually and spiritually by rendering the Greek texts into modern English with LDS sensitivities in mind. Comparing and explaining the New Rendition in light of the KJV then serves as one important purpose for each volume’s notes, comments, analyses, and summaries. This effort responds in modest ways to the desire President J. Reuben Clark Jr. expressed in his diary in 1956 that someday “qualified scholars [would provide] ... a translation of the New Testament that will give us an accurate translation that shall be pregnant with the great principles of the Restored Gospel.”
There's no actual commentary or justification for particular translation choices. Each volume is just a new translation of one of the books.

The Gospel according to Mark: A New Rendition by Julie M. Smith
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

The Testimony of Luke: A New Rendition by Eric D. Huntsman and S. Kent Brown
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

Paul's First Epistle to the Corinthians: A New Rendition by Michael D. Rhodes and Richard D. Draper
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

The Epistle to the Ephesians: A New Rendition by Phillip Abbot
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

The Epistle to the Hebrews: A New Rendition by Michael D. Rhodes, Richard D. Draper
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

The Revelation of John the Apostle: A New Rendition by Michael D. Rhodes and Richard D. Draper
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

I found three Open Access academic books that look interesting.

Communities of Saint Martin: Legend and Ritual in Medieval Tours by Sharon Farmer
Kobo
B&N
Amazon

I also found a PDF on a hosting server. It's a scan with OCR that looks like it was done by the publisher, but the CC license means it's a legal download in any case.

Sharon Farmer here investigates the ways in which three medieval communities—the town of Tours, the basilica of Saint-Martin there, and the abbey of Marmoutier nearby—all defined themselves through the cult of Saint Martin. She demonstrates how in the early Middle Ages the bishops of Tours used the cult of Martin, their fourthcentury predecessor, to shape an idealized image of Tours as Martin's town. As the heirs to Martin's see, the bishops projected themselves as the rightful leaders of the community. However, in the late eleventh century, she shows, the canons of Saint-Martin (where the saint's relics resided) and the monks of Marmoutier (which Martin had founded) took control of the cult and produced new legends and rituals to strengthen their corporate interests.

Since the basilica and the abbey differed in their spiritualities, structures, and external ties, the canons and monks elaborated and manipulated Martin's cult in quite different ways. Farmer shows how one saint's cult lent itself to these varying uses, and analyzes the strikingly dissimilar Martins that emerged. Her skillful inquiry into the relationship between group identity and cultural expression illuminates the degree to which culture is contested territory.

Farmer's rich blend of social history and hagiography will appeal to a wide range of medievalists, cultural anthropologists, religious historians, and urban historians.
Pentecostalism and Witchcraft: Spiritual Warfare in Africa and Melanesia edited by Knut Rio, Michelle MacCarthy and Ruy Blanes
Springer Link (DRM-free epub and PDF)
Amazon

This open access book presents fresh ethnographic work from the regions of Africa and Melanesia—where the popularity of charismatic Christianity can be linked to a revival and transformation of witchcraft. The volume demonstrates how the Holy Spirit has become an adversary to the reconfirmed presence of witches, demons, and sorcerers as manifestations of evil. We learn how this is articulated in spiritual warfare, in crusades, and in healing or witch-killing raids. The contributors highlight what happens to phenomena that people address as locally specific witchcraft or sorcery when re-molded within the universalist Pentecostal demonology, vocabulary, and confrontational methodology.

Juxtaposes case studies from Melanesia and Africa in order to better compare, contrast, and illuminate the effects of and engagements with PentecostalismFocuses on chief themes of Pentecostalism and witchcraft while also bringing in discussions of globalization, visibility, movements of capital, and embodiment

Presents rich and detailed case studies while also offering up wide-ranging theoretical analyses and critiques of established thinking/concepts
The Stranger at the Feast: Prohibition and Mediation in an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian Community by Tom Boylston
Luminos Open Access (DRM-free epub, PDF, mobi)
Kobo
Amazon

The Stranger at the Feast is a pathbreaking ethnographic study of one of the world’s oldest and least-understood religious traditions. Based on long-term ethnographic research on the Zege peninsula in northern Ethiopia, the author tells the story of how people have understood large-scale religious change by following local transformations in hospitality, ritual prohibition, and feeding practices. Ethiopia has undergone radical upheaval in the transition from the imperial era of Haile Selassie to the modern secular state, but the secularization of the state has been met with the widespread revival of popular religious practice. For Orthodox Christians in Zege, everything that matters about religion comes back to how one eats and fasts with others. Boylston shows how practices of feeding and avoidance have remained central even as their meaning and purpose has dramatically changed: from a means of marking class distinctions within Orthodox society, to a marker of the difference between Orthodox Christians and other religions within the contemporary Ethiopian state.

#912  GtrsRGr8 06-23-2019, 04:40 AM
^ A huge amount of karma coming to you for those two posts!

#913  Freehunter 06-30-2019, 05:18 PM
The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith? Kindle Edition
by John F. MacArthur

limited time reduction

US $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Jesus-Authentic-Faith-ebook/dp/B0016H97GO/

UK £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gospel-According-Jesus-Authentic-Faith-ebook/dp/B0016H97GO/

#914  GtrsRGr8 06-30-2019, 11:43 PM
Quote Freehunter
The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is Authentic Faith? Kindle Edition
by John F. MacArthur

limited time reduction

US $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Jesus-Authentic-Faith-ebook/dp/B0016H97GO/

UK £1.99
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gospel-According-Jesus-Authentic-Faith-ebook/dp/B0016H97GO/
This is a "revised" and "expanded" edition. Even if you have the original edition (as I do--in dead-tree form. Arrrghh!), you still might want to get this new edition.

Thanks for the post.

#915  GtrsRGr8 07-08-2019, 01:31 PM
Eerdmans has a book sale each month. July's is now in effect; it's a great one.

There is a large selection. As usual, the prices in this sale are what I consider fantastic, especially given the kind of books that they sell ("deep," tending toward the academic; no pop-Christian), and the fact that the retail prices are usually what I consider high, but the sale selection books are super-low in price.

There are a couple of ways, that I'm familiar with, to access information about the books, and place your order at the same time. One is to go directly to Eerdword, the Erdmans blog. IMPORTANT: groups of sale books (thumbnails of them) are scattered throughout the webpage. To get to the first group, drill down until you see a group of ebooks giving prices and links to Amazon, underneath the books. When you're through viewing those, scroll down until you find some more like that, and so on.

The other way is to go to gospelebooks.net. They list all of the books in a sale in one place; the place where they are currently listed is at the top of the third page, but when new, additional books are added, the Eerdmans books section will get "pushed down." It's annoying to scroll down, sometimes several pages, to find a selection that you're interested in, but when I have my druthers, I go to that website.

#916  Difflugia 07-09-2019, 02:24 PM
This week's free book from David C. Cook is the Acts volume of the Warren Wiersbe Bible Study Series, Acts: Put Your Faith Where the Action Is.

This one wasn't in my collection, so it may not have been free before.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon

#917  TrevorViking 07-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Thanks! New to me as well, had one that only covered chapters 13-28.

#918  GtrsRGr8 07-09-2019, 09:15 PM
Quote Difflugia
This week's free book from David C. Cook is the Acts volume of the Warren Wiersbe Bible Study Series, Acts: Put Your Faith Where the Action Is.

This one wasn't in my collection, so it may not have been free before.

B&N
Kobo
Amazon
Thanks. I have all of the "Be" series, but very few of the "Bible Study Series."

#919  GtrsRGr8 07-13-2019, 01:01 AM
This looks like a good book--it has stellar ratings at Amazon and GoodReads.

There are lots of good ebooks out there, though. It's tough to know which ones to post and which ones to pass on. I've got to confess that part of the reason that I'm posting this one is the novelty of the thing--the audiobook is cheaper, purchased outright from the ebook's webpage, than the Whispersync deal is ($7.83 vs $9.48), even though the ebook is on sale for only $1.99. That situation is unusual, to say the least, in my experience.

The Single Woman: Life, Love, and a Dash of Sass, by Mandy Hale.

Description
Smart, strong, independent—single women can live a fabulous life. Husband not required.

Mandy Hale, also known by her many blog readers and Twitter fans as The Single WomanTM, shares her stories, advice, and enthusiasm for living life as an empowered, confident, God-centered woman who doesn’t just resign herself to being single—she enjoys it! Being single has had its stigmas, but Mandy proves it has its advantages too, and she uses wisdom and wit to inspire her fellow single ladies to celebrate and live fully in the life God has given them.

Mandy encourages her readers on subjects such as taking chances, building friendships, letting go, and finding a greater purpose. With her help, readers can stop worrying about happily ever after and discover a happy life instead.

Rated 4.7 stars, at Amazon. 196 pages.

Postscript: You've "got" to read what Amazon says about Mandy Hale, the author, at this webpage.

#920  GtrsRGr8 07-17-2019, 05:08 PM
The books are all commentaries, with individual volumes coming from . . . .
- The Old Testament Library.
- Interpretation: A Bible Commentary for Teaching and Preaching.
- Belief: A Theological Commentary Commentary on the Bible.

Sale prices are $4.99 for each of the Old Testament Library volumes and $3.99 for volumes in the other two series. Folks, the retail prices of these tomes are as high as $56.00 (yes, $56.00)!

That puts it short and sweet (I hope).

Again, the sale is short--it ends Friday. WJK Sale.

The following is optional reading material:
In addition to reviews at Amazon and GoodReads, I've found Best Commentaries to be helpful in assessing the quality of individual commentaries, as well as sets--the most helpful, in fact. Their reviews (made by individuals who use the site) are right-of-center there, at least for the most part, but they seem to be pretty objective in assessing the quality of the exegesis, etc. in the commentaries.

Be aware that WJK is a left-of-center publisher. However, like Eerdmans, and maybe others, it seems like WJK has taken a step or two back toward the middle, in the last couple of decades or so.

I'm curious about the reason for WJK putting the particular volumes, that they do, on sale. Are there revised commentaries on the books coming along? Is WJK planning to publish or release volumes by other authors to replace the current volumes? I wouldn't be very concerned, though, especially about the second possibility. Sometimes it seems that revised editions are not as good as the originals, and other authors used are not as good as the original ones.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (92/94)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register