Mobileread
FREE/BARGAIN — Christian Interest
#11  Difflugia 01-04-2016, 01:01 PM
The 2015 update to Lockman's Amplified Bible published by Zondervan is $3.99. I didn't realize until today that it's the new one and the sale is listed with others that end today (Jan. 4).

The blurb makes it sound like it's a minor update, but I find both the underlying translation and presentation style to be quite a bit different than the 1987 edition. For example, here's Genesis 1:14:

1987:
And God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be signs and tokens [of God’s provident care], and [to mark] seasons, days, and years,
2015:
Then God said, “Let there be light-bearers (sun, moon, stars) in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be useful for signs (tokens) [of God’s provident care], and for marking seasons, days, and years;

B&N
Christianbook
Kobo
Amazon

#12  GtrsRGr8 01-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Quote Difflugia
The 2015 update to Lockman's Amplified Bible published by Zondervan is $3.99. I didn't realize until today that it's the new one and the sale is listed with others that end today (Jan. 4).

The blurb makes it sound like it's a minor update, but I find both the underlying translation and presentation style to be quite a bit different than the 1987 edition. For example, here's Genesis 1:14:

1987:
And God said, Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be signs and tokens [of God’s provident care], and [to mark] seasons, days, and years,
2015:
Then God said, “Let there be light-bearers (sun, moon, stars) in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be useful for signs (tokens) [of God’s provident care], and for marking seasons, days, and years;
<snip>
Amazon, at least, did not show the digital list price, for my comparison purposes, so I checked ereaderiq.com. They show $12.99 as the digital list price.

You're a good salesperson. I had decided this morning that I was going to have to exercise self-control and slash my ebook buying expenses. Then comes along your post! ha After seeing your comparison of the readings from Genesis 1, I decided that this is a must-have.

Thanks.

#13  Difflugia 01-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Quote GtrsRGr8
I had decided this morning that I was going to have to exercise self-control and slash my ebook buying expenses.
But with the amount you're saving, you can't afford not to buy them!

#14  GtrsRGr8 01-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Quote Difflugia
But with the amount you're saving, you can't afford not to buy them!
I've saved so much money on ebooks that I'm about to go broke.

#15  GtrsRGr8 01-04-2016, 10:28 PM
That turns out to be only $2.99.

I have reason to believe that the reduced price on this ebook will last through January 10.

Generational IQ: Christianity Isn't Dying, Millennials Aren't the Problem, and the Future is Bright. By Haydn Shaw; Ginger Kolbaba. Rated 5 stars, but from only 8 reviews at the present moment, at Amazon; rated 4.33 at GoodReads, but from only 6 reviews. Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., publisher. 303 pages. Print list price $17.99; digital list price $17.99; Kindle price now $2.99. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PCJXWYA/.

Chapter Titles (In Lieu of a Book Description)

Chapter 1: Turning On the Lights
Chapter 2: Generational Intelligence

Part 1: How When You Were Born Affects Your Relationship with God
Chapter 3: Traditionalists
Chapter 4: Baby Boomers
Chapter 5: Generation X
Chapter 6: Millenials

Part 2: Friends and Family
Chapter 7: What Do I Say to Friends Who Claim, "I'm Spiritual but Not Religious"?
Chapter 8: When Will My Twentysomething Move out of the Basement?
Chapter 9: How Do I Reach My Twentysomething Who is Drifting from God?
Chapter 10: What Do I Do When My Kid Is Putting Off Marriage but Not Sex?

Part 3: Church
Chapter 11: Will Christianity Really Disappear in Three Generations?
Chapter 12: Why Won't Younger People Come to My Church?
Chapter 13: What Am I Supposed to Do Now That It Doesn't Feel like My Church Anymore?

Part 4: Why We Need Each Other
Chapter 14: The Ultimate Generational Intelligence

#16  Difflugia 01-06-2016, 02:27 PM
These have been on sale before, but not this cheap.

The NKJV Study Bible: Full-Color Edition is $2.99. As I mentioned before, the paper version is quite spectacular, but the ebook version is nearly the same as the original NKJV Study Bible, but with some pictures thrown in.
B&N
Kobo
Amazon

NIV First-Century Study Bible: Explore Scripture in Its Jewish and Early Christian Context by Kent Dobson is $2.99.
B&N
Kobo
Amazon

There are actually quite a few study and devotional Bibles on sale right now for $2.99 and $3.99. Here's a link to Christianbook that lists the ebooks on sale that are also Bibles.

#17  GtrsRGr8 01-06-2016, 09:05 PM
Rose Publishing is offering a free Bible Translations Comparison eChart for readers of Biblical Archaeology Review. However, the link that I will give you at the end of this message will work whether you subscribe to the magazine or not; in fact, it appears that Rose doesn't care. But I'm not suggesting that you do one thing or the other.

The "eChart" has 15-20 pages of substantive material, so it's definitely more than a "chart," as Rose Publishing calls it. It's more like a booklet.

The only cost to you is a few seconds of your time and surrendering an email address for Rose to use to put you on their mailing list. But that's not all bad; in fact, it's not bad at all in my opinion. For one thing, every few weeks they will send you an offer to download a free echart (they're not the full versions, but they're pretty good nonetheless).

After you submit your request for the Bible Translations Comparison Chart, Rose will send you a link for you to use to download it. It will be in the pdf format.

Curious how much it would cost for the Kindle mobi at Amazon or ePub at Christianbook? Well, they're $3.99 and $3.19, respectively.

As they say on the infomercials, "but wait, there's more!" I was pleasantly surprised to find a number of additional free charts and such offered by Rose when I followed the link that they sent me. These charts seem to be similar, if not the same as, the free charts that they offer every few weeks.

Here's the link to follow to get all of the goodies.

#18  GtrsRGr8 01-11-2016, 12:21 AM
William Wilberforce perhaps may be best known for his successful efforts to end the slave trade and slavery itself in the British Empire. I'm putting this post in the "Christian Interest" thread for several reasons, primarily because Wilberforce was a professed Christian, professed Christians like to claim him as one of their own, and the fact that his anti-slavery efforts arose from his religious beliefs.

Title: Amazing Grace in the Life of William Wilberforce.
Format: Pdf.
Author(s): John Piper.
Publisher: Crossway Books.
Pages: 76.
Ebook Rating/Number of Reviews (Amazon): 4.3 (32).
Price: $0.00.
Lowest Price at Amazon if available there: $5.49 (Kindle mobi).
Book Description (Amazon):
Against great obstacles William Wilberforce, an evangelical Christian and a member of Parliament, fought for the abolition of the African slave trade and against slavery itself until they were both illegal in the British Empire.

Many are aware of Wilberforce's role in bringing an end to slavery in Great Britain, but few have taken the time to examine the beliefs and motivations that spurred him on for decades. In this concise volume, John Piper tells the story of how Wilberforce was transformed from an unbelieving, young politician into a radically God-centered Christian, and how his deep spirituality helped to change the moral outlook of a nation.

As world leaders debate over how to deal with a host of social justice and humanitarian crises, a closer look at Wilberforce's life and faith serves as an encouragement and example to all believers.

Comments:
URL: http://document.desiringgod.org/amazing-grace-in-the-life-of-william-wilberforce-en.pdf?1439242070 (direct).

#19  Conan46 01-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Here is a link to John Piper's books:
http://www.desiringgod.org/books
Quite a few of them are free and in various ebook formats. The David Brainerd book for instance.

#20  Difflugia 01-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Another bundle of Warren Wiersbe's "BE" series of Bible studies is on sale. This one is for nine of Paul's letters and it's $3.96 at Christianbook.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/94)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register