Mobileread
About the "Offline" forums
#11  SBT 12-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Any suggestions about how to identify a revised upload as an expurgated version?
Removing illustrations is straightforward, but what about Shackletons "Heart of the Antarctic", where I'll remove a number of appendices, or Holbergs "Niels Klim", where I'll remove the introduction and all the footnotes?
Is there some kind of standardized tag I can add to indicate when the full version will fall into the public domain?

#12  DaleDe 12-10-2014, 01:06 PM
Yes Illustrations is usually in the title so it is easy. I think the description can identify the missing items and link to the full version even though it isn't available yet due to copyright laws. When threads are moved the identification is not changed. A tag identifying the date is a good idea to identify when a particular book will become available.

#13  Jellby 12-13-2014, 05:19 AM
If you upload a new book, we'll check its copyright status again. If the new book does not have copyrighted material (illustrations, annotations...) it will not be marked as "offline". If you modify an existing upload, PM some moderator (HarryT is the main library manager) to notify the change.

As DaleDe says, specify removed items in the description, and make sure the titles are different, so we don't mistakenly identify the new version as the old one in a different format. If the illustrated version had "(illus.)", just don't add it in the version without illustrations, and so on.

#14  Fbone 03-14-2015, 02:21 PM
The following authors died in 1944 and can be moved from the offline section to the main Library. Thanks.

Irving Cobb
Cutcliffe
Footner
Max Brand

cc:Harry

#15  HarryT 03-14-2015, 03:01 PM
Hi Fbone,

Yes, we have a complete list of "1944" books. We're working hard on a major library "relaunch" and will incorporate them then. More news soon!

#16  Fbone 03-14-2015, 04:47 PM
That's great news. Looking forward to it.

#17  mmat1 05-20-2015, 11:12 AM
May I ask, why this one is offline ? Horror Kurzgeschichten

The livedates of the Autors seam not to be suspicious to me and i got the permission from the translator to post it. (who postted the german version as audiobook herself @ Legamus.

So, why? i dont get it...

#18  Jellby 05-28-2015, 11:40 AM
If I recall correctly (I don't have access to all my notes here), the problem was the English translation of Neruda, which appears to be by Š├írka B. Hrbkova (1878-1948). As far as I understand, the German version was translated from the English, so the latter's copyright applies too.

But of course, it's possible that we made a mistake (too many books, too little information sometimes), or that I recall wrongly (if I find out the reason was different, I'll edit this mesage), or that the translation path is not the one I described. I'll be happy to fix if that's the case. Otherwise, just wait until 2019

#19  BobC 01-23-2017, 10:08 AM
Quote HarryT
The reason the book is in the offline section is that one of the illustrators, Picard, died in 1946, so the book will enter the life+70 public domain on 1st Jan 2017.

I'd just wait: it's not all that far off.
Now the book is in life+70 PD is there anything I need to do to get it out of "offline" ?

BobC

#20  elibrarian 01-28-2017, 06:26 AM
I mean,

Cutcliffe Hyne died 1944
Phillips Oppenheim died 1946
H. G. Wells died 1946
S. S. Van Dine died 1939
Constance Garnett (the translator of Dostoyevsky: The Possessed and Tolstoy: Anna Karenina, and probably more) died 1946

to name but a few. But their works hasn't been moved to the active forums of the library. There may of course be other reasons for this, but since translators and/or illustrators are rarely mentioned, it's difficult to say if that's the reason.

Regards,

Kim

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/5)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register