Mobileread
Anyone else started thinking about Nano? [2015]
#11  crich70 09-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Quote Dr. Drib
Since you started this 2014 thread, I'd be happy to sticky this one and un-stick and close the 2012 thread.

Say the word.

Don
(Moderator)
And I have no problem with that. My 2012 thread has been hanging round for quite a while.

#12  Dr. Drib 09-25-2014, 08:20 AM
Ok.

The other Nano thread from 2012, one thoughtfully started by crich70, has been un-stuck and closed.

This thread (the one with this post) will be stickied and '2014' added to the Subject heading.

Don
(Moderator)

#13  6charlong 09-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Quote crich70
I'm going to start working out some ideas soon. You might find the following of use: How to be a NaNoWriMo Winner I'm going to be using the structure I picked up from Andrew Heath in working out my plot in more detail as well. I posted about his 4 step outline. 4 step outline Hopefully it will keep me going a bit better this year. The book is also over at Smashwords.
Thanks for the link, crich. That's a great book.

I've heard about Nano for donkey's years but always in Fall or Winter and always after it actually started. I've been toying with the idea of starting it this year and writing with my trusty fountain pens and cheap paper. It's counter intuitive but by slowing myself down, and using a medium that makes it harder to get stuck trying to edit what I just typed, I'm hoping to use Nano's idea to push on quickly, do the creative part while leaving edits for later. No spell-checker, no word counter, no grammar checker, no nags at all until the day's writing is done.

I don't know whether or not it will it work. Maybe I'll get slowed down too much, but I might give it a try.

#14  crich70 09-27-2014, 03:46 PM
Quote 6charlong
Thanks for the link, crich. That's a great book.

I've heard about Nano for donkey's years but always in Fall or Winter and always after it actually started. I've been toying with the idea of starting it this year and writing with my trusty fountain pens and cheap paper. It's counter intuitive but by slowing myself down, and using a medium that makes it harder to get stuck trying to edit what I just typed, I'm hoping to use Nano's idea to push on quickly, do the creative part while leaving edits for later. No spell-checker, no word counter, no grammar checker, no nags at all until the day's writing is done.

I don't know whether or not it will it work. Maybe I'll get slowed down too much, but I might give it a try.
Sometimes initial ideas can come easier by writing them down on paper. I'm going to work on the pre-writing planning for my NaNo using pens and legal pads and then transfer everything to a Scrivener file. Good luck on your NaNo.

#15  Arrghus 09-29-2014, 05:44 PM
Yes, I'm seriously considering it this year. I am thinking of cheating and writing a handful of shorts rather than a long piece.

I have been trying to work out my ecosystem for planning and writing, and I think I shall be doing most of it through Evernote on my Android Slatebook 14.

I am avoiding Scrivener as I am moving my digital life to the cloud.

#16  crich70 09-29-2014, 06:54 PM
Quote Arrghus
Yes, I'm seriously considering it this year. I am thinking of cheating and writing a handful of shorts rather than a long piece.

I have been trying to work out my ecosystem for planning and writing, and I think I shall be doing most of it through Evernote on my Android Slatebook 14.

I am avoiding Scrivener as I am moving my digital life to the cloud.
Nothing wrong with writing a series of short stories for NaNo. I've heard of others doing the same thing.

#17  KimaPrince 10-03-2014, 11:53 AM
Been thinking about NaNo a lot lately, and I've decided to change which story I will work on. As mentioned in a previous post I was going to go with a seat of pants story idea I had but now I've decided to write a story I actually have a lot of prep work for that recently it seems like I have enough of the pieces together for that story that I'm willing to use the NaNo time to write it.

#18  crich70 10-03-2014, 11:54 AM
Quote KimaPrince
Been thinking about NaNo a lot lately, and I've decided to change which story I will work on. As mentioned in a previous post I was going to go with a seat of pants story idea I had but now I've decided to write a story I actually have a lot of prep work for that recently it seems like I have enough of the pieces together for that story that I'm willing to use the NaNo time to write it.
Good luck with it KimaPrince. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind about what story to work on. I've heard that some NaNoers even change their mind a few days into NaNo.

#19  KimaPrince 10-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Quote crich70
Good luck with it KimaPrince. There is nothing wrong with changing your mind about what story to work on. I've heard that some NaNoers even change their mind a few days into NaNo.
Thanks.

And oh wow. Changing a few days into NaNo? If they're aiming to have the new work meet the 50,000 and not count the previous work they'd have a lot of catchup to do. I believe you need a bit over 1,700 words each day to meet the 50,000. Which is doable, but the trick is if you miss a day, you have to make up that word count. That's over 3,000 words in a day if you missed one day.

#20  crich70 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Quote KimaPrince
Thanks.

And oh wow. Changing a few days into NaNo? If they're aiming to have the new work meet the 50,000 and not count the previous work they'd have a lot of catchup to do. I believe you need a bit over 1,700 words each day to meet the 50,000. Which is doable, but the trick is if you miss a day, you have to make up that word count. That's over 3,000 words in a day if you missed one day.
Yep. the minimum words per day is 1,667 actually though if someone can get 2,000 words a day they can do it in 25 days (but that's probably tricky to manage too). And like you said if you miss a day you have that much more to do to catch up. I crossed the 50k line once on day 28 back in 2009 and it wasn't easy. You can put yourself under a lot of stress very easily if you fall behind. Someday I have to still go back and see if my project from then can be salvaged. It still had some loose ends to tie up among other things I think last time I checked.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/10)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register