Mobileread
What do you think?
#1  JSWolf 06-25-2007, 04:50 PM
For those of you using MobiPocket or FBReader on whatever device you read ebooks, how do you think these books are doing? Do you have any complaints, anything you'd like us to do differently (if we can)? We'd like to hear your comments please. Thanks!

Jon

#2  TadW 06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Jon,

On my HP iPAQ 4700 with Mobipocket, the books look great.

#3  JSWolf 06-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Quote TadW
Jon,

On my HP iPAQ 4700 with Mobipocket, the books look great.
That is very good to know that what we are producing looks good. It would be a shame to produce MobiPocket books that turned out to be not good enough.

#4  Nate the great 06-30-2007, 12:00 AM
I have not yet downloaded any ebooks from here, but I do have a suggestion.

When you are editing an anthology, at the end of each story/section please include a link to the table of contents. This lets the reader jump around. Anthologies don't have to be read sequentially.

#5  JSWolf 06-30-2007, 05:49 AM
Quote Nate the great
I have not yet downloaded any ebooks from here, but I do have a suggestion.

When you are editing an anthology, at the end of each story/section please include a link to the table of contents. This lets the reader jump around. Anthologies don't have to be read sequentially.
It would not be hard to have a "Return to Table of Contents" placed at the end of each story. But that is up to whomever is making the collection.

#6  HarryT 06-30-2007, 06:11 AM
Most bookreaders have a "go to 1st page" shortcut of some kind. That should get you pretty close to the table of contents.

#7  Nate the great 06-30-2007, 07:03 AM
Quote HarryT
Most bookreaders have a "go to 1st page" shortcut of some kind. That should get you pretty close to the table of contents.
Well, yes, but that assumes that the TOC is near the front. Baen always puts it at the rear of the ebook.

#8  HarryT 06-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Quote Nate the great
Well, yes, but that assumes that the TOC is near the front. Baen always puts it at the rear of the ebook.
That's a silly place to put a TOC .

You could always download the HTML version of the book from Baen, load it into Book Designer, shift the TOC to the front, and create your own Mobi version. That would take 2 minutes, tops.

#9  Nate the great 06-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Quote HarryT
That's a silly place to put a TOC .

You could always download the HTML version of the book from Baen, load it into Book Designer, shift the TOC to the front, and create your own Mobi version. That would take 2 minutes, tops.
Yes, but I just wanted to share a design idea I had. I think it makes the books more readable.

#10  Robert Marquard 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Baen always places a link to the TOC on the first page so it is easy to reach. Usually a Mobipocket book also has a menu entry to reach the TOC and various other positions in the book. These are missing from the ebooks here.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register