Mobileread
A very nice brand new footnote display
#1  roger64 12-10-2019, 06:45 AM
Thank you for this excellent new feature

I had the luck to open a commercial book which had all the requisites and discovered a new footnotes display exactly like with a paper book (and more because you can still go to the note folder). Well, I am no too late since this feature was added to Koreader in October 2019...

I checked the difference between the code I used for ePub3 footnotes and this one. The only difference was the presence of a "ntb" class in the aside element (missing in my code).

This is mine but of course YMMV
Code
.ntb { margin: 0% 0% 1% 5%; font-size: 0.85em; line-height: 130%; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; text-align: justify; text-indent: 0%; text-rendering: optimizeSpeed;
}

It's surprising, but once you know it, it's just a trifle to add it and enjoy this feature.

Lots of ebook readers still do not have this feature.

and congratulations to the developers!

#2  ps67 12-10-2019, 05:39 PM
Yes it is fine, I still prefer the pop up notes but I also like very much In page footnotes. I think also that it depends on the notes, if they give a real additional information or a simple bibliographic reference: in the first case it is more useful, in the second pop up notes are better so You can easily ignore them.

As far as I know Koreader is the only engine that has this ingenious feature.

In my opinion this feature can be appreciated better with a large screen reader (like my Kobo Aura One), because it seems more like a printed book, also in the dimension of "page" and it leaves anyway enough space for normal text.

#3  Frenzie 12-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Quote roger64
Well, I am no too late since this feature was added to Koreader in October 2019...
Added in January I believe. ;-) Actually these have "always" been in CoolReader/KOReader, but it was previously limited to FB2 and most of us didn't know about it (myself included). What's new is that @poire-z also made it available in EPUB with a bit of extra code.

I like popup footnotes, but I definitely prefer in-page.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register