Mobileread
Will Nook be sold to Rakuten Kobo?
#11  FrustratedReader 11-15-2019, 05:29 PM
They might simply take the Nook customers on till the Nook is dead. They did that with Sony.
On September 4, 2013, Sony announced the PRS-T2 successor, the PRS-T3. Unlike previous Sony reader models, the T3 is not sold in the US, and Sony has abandoned the North American market due to competition from Amazon, B&N and Kobo.[11]
On February 6, 2014, Sony announced that it was closing its North American, Europe, and Australia Reader Stores in late March, migrating all its customers to the Kobo Reader Store.[12]
On August 1, 2014, Sony announced that it would not release another ereader but would keep selling its remaining stock.
Wikipedia

#12  fjtorres 11-15-2019, 06:55 PM
Quote jhowell
I can see why B&N may want to sell Nook, but why would Rakuten want to buy it?

Sure they get the customers, but they come with existing devices that would have to be supported. It might not be worth it considering that if Nook shuts down they are likely to pick up many of those people anyway.
1- It would mean doubling their US customer base. Almost catching up to Apple.
2- Nook readers can accept Kobo ADEPT ebooks. So it wouldn't be too hard to support them.

#13  ZodWallop 11-15-2019, 07:43 PM
Quote jhowell
...if Nook shuts down they are likely to pick up many of those people anyway.
If Nook shuts down, any Nook users would likely head to Kindle. In the US, Walmart partnership or no, Kobo is just about completely unknown.

Best bet would be for Kobo to buy Nook and get a display of some sort in B&N stores, at least for a while.

#14  j.p.s 11-15-2019, 08:09 PM
Is B&N dumping Nooks and ebooks or Nooks only?

#15  fjtorres 11-15-2019, 08:21 PM
Quote j.p.s
Is B&N dumping Nooks and ebooks or Nooks only?
Right now, neither.
If and when they do, both.

#16  tomsem 11-15-2019, 08:24 PM
Kobo could give trade in credit on their Nook towards a Kobo, and populate their Kobo library with whatever books they purchased from B&N (publishers probably wouldn’t grumble too much about it because it would not be Amazon doing it).

As others say, it could be an effective way of growing share of US market.

#17  jhowell 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Quote fjtorres
1- It would mean doubling their US customer base. Almost catching up to Apple.
2- Nook readers can accept Kobo ADEPT ebooks. So it wouldn't be too hard to support them.
I hadn't realized that Nook had such a large market share compared with Apple and that their DRM was already compatible.

Quote ZodWallop
If Nook shuts down, any Nook users would likely head to Kindle. In the US, Walmart partnership or no, Kobo is just about completely unknown.

Best bet would be for Kobo to buy Nook and get a display of some sort in B&N stores, at least for a while.
I have changed my mind. I now think it would make sense for Kobo.

#18  Tomk2 11-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Quote ZodWallop

James Daunt has said he has no interest in selling someone elses readers in his stores. He did briefly sell Kindles in the UK, I wonder why that experience soured him on the idea.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

#19  FrustratedReader 11-16-2019, 01:36 PM
Selling Kindles in a Bookshop is just giving sales to Amazon. A bonkers idea. A Kobo ereader isn't much better of an idea.

Selling ereaders AT ALL in a physical book shop is madness, unless you can also sell ebooks at the till for cash, that are not from Amazon. Like via a USB connection. Perhaps partnering with Smashwords. Which Apple, Kobo, Barnes & Noble and maybe everyone except Amazon and Google already do. Even Libraries.

I've not bought via the store front on my Kindle or on my Kobo. Though I've bought Amazon ebooks. I think a built in single store front is wrong. So indeed I think Playstore on Android is wrong and Apple store on iOS is wrong. MS is now trying to emulate this on Windows and Apple is trying to do it to Mac OS.

No bookstore in it's right mind should sell any ereader with someone else's store in it. They should sell ebooks for ANY ereader. If people want an ereader they can buy one easily. The bookshops don't sell chairs, lamps and bookcases. Most decent music / video shops don't sell players or TV screens or HiFis.

Phone shops don't sell apps.

#20  MGlitch 11-16-2019, 02:03 PM
isn't Chapters Indigo a bookstore? Cause they sure do sell Kobos. Don't think they get a cut of ebook sales.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register