Mobileread
New potential member cannot get past captcha
#1  ballfresno 12-07-2019, 07:39 AM
I am writing on behalf of a potential new member. She has visual impairment and cannot get past the captcha required to join (I believe she uses a screen reader). I see no easy way to contact an administrator for this forum to pass on details. Can anybody help?

Thank you.

#2  BetterRed 12-07-2019, 09:25 PM
For future reference - look for Green Names in the Currently Active Users list (bottom of main forum index page) - they closely monitor this forum though.

BR

#3  ballfresno 12-08-2019, 07:16 AM
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for green names!

#4  pdurrant 12-08-2019, 07:18 AM
I've reported your question to the other mods for comments. I'm not sure what the solution is myself.

#5  JSWolf 12-09-2019, 05:35 PM
Quote pdurrant
I've reported your question to the other mods for comments. I'm not sure what the solution is myself.
Dump the captcha. They are nothing but an annoyance.

#6  BookCat 12-13-2019, 02:54 PM
@ballfresno Does your friend have someone who could type the captcha for her?

#7  DiapDealer 12-13-2019, 07:07 PM
Quote JSWolf
Dump the captcha. They are nothing but an annoyance.
Said the one who's never had to deal with mass bot registration and the resulting spam. Sure. Why not? Just dump the whole thing and offer no speed bumps whatsoever.

Captcha can be annoying but the notion that it serves no valid purpose is absurd.

Never mind the fact that Alex is probably to only person who actually COULD dump it.

Try to be just a tiny bit helpful next time, hmmm?

#8  DiapDealer 12-13-2019, 07:16 PM
OK. Here's the scoop. MobileRead does not use Captcha for registration. It uses reCAPTCHA. It consists of a checkbox beside the phrase "I am not a robot." You check the box. No typing/decyphering involved. That's what I was presented with anyway.

I'm not trying to be insensitive here, but I fail to understand how someone could manage to complete every other required field on the registration and then not manage to check the box.

#9  HLS 12-13-2019, 07:50 PM
Quote DiapDealer
OK. Here's the scoop. MobileRead does not use Captcha for registration. It uses reCAPTCHA. It consists of a checkbox beside the phrase "I am not a robot." You check the box. No typing/decyphering involved. That's what I was presented with anyway.

I'm not trying to be insensitive here, but I fail to understand how someone could manage to complete every other required field on the registration and then not manage to check the box.
The checkbox maybe hard to see but I would think someone could help her with that part like earlier suggested.

#10  binaryhermit 12-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Recaptcha uses machine learning/ai stuff and sometimes, if it guesses you might be a spambot, it makes you do something else, generally clicking on image boxes to pick certain things out.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register