Mobileread
Calibre Night Mode?
#1  pghaworth 12-05-2019, 09:33 PM
I'm very fond of white on black and the all white interface sears my eyeballs which are not young and new anymore. has this been accomplished and I haven't found out about it or how to set it? thanks.

#2  DoctorOhh 12-06-2019, 12:30 AM
Quote pghaworth
I'm very fond of white on black and the all white interface sears my eyeballs which are not young and new anymore. has this been accomplished and I haven't found out about it or how to set it? thanks.
I believe calibre uses whatever color theme your computer is set to across its entirety.

Personally when using the main interface I use the cover grid to avoid the searing of the old eyes, see attached.

When using the viewer you should be able to set the background and foreground colors as you see fit. I use a parchment background image (see attached) to reduce the searing of the eyeballs. You can see how I set it up in this post.
library.jpg calibre viewer screenshot-2.jpg 

#3  pghaworth 12-06-2019, 04:24 AM
Quote DoctorOhh
I believe calibre uses whatever color theme your computer is set to across its entirety.

Personally when using the main interface I use the cover grid to avoid the searing of the old eyes, see attached.

When using the viewer you should be able to set the background and foreground colors as you see fit. I use a parchment background image (see attached) to reduce the searing of the eyeballs. You can see how I set it up in this post.
thank you. I prefer list mode and really need a night mode these days. I'll checkout the parchment background. might ease the searing a bit. not sure windows has a night mode, or if it does it's not something I want universally.

#4  Gorgoth 12-06-2019, 05:44 AM
I think Win 10 has a night mode which some applications respect and use, not sure though since I've never used Win 10 nor do I know whether Calibre has that function or not.

#5  pghaworth 12-06-2019, 06:05 AM
Quote Gorgoth
I think Win 10 has a night mode which some applications respect and use, not sure though since I've never used Win 10 nor do I know whether Calibre has that function or not.
thank you. I'll do some research

#6  pghaworth 12-06-2019, 06:09 AM
Quote Gorgoth
it was already set, but it doesn't interact with Calibre so no help there.

#7  kovidgoyal 12-06-2019, 06:21 AM
windows has no nightmode what you are refering to is for metro apps. Instead set your windows classic color theme to use dark colors and calibre will follow those colors.

#8  pghaworth 12-06-2019, 11:57 AM
Quote kovidgoyal
windows has no nightmode what you are refering to is for metro apps. Instead set your windows classic color theme to use dark colors and calibre will follow those colors.
love that idea, truly, however, plus, the only way to set it is to tell win 10 dark and Calibre doesn't respect the setting. there is no longer any way to do it the way you are suggesting. anything Classic no longer exists in windows 10 (pro)

and as others have mentioned, windows no longer offers that type of setting.

I even tried themes. messed up my system to try various things to make Calibre go dark. even with the setting in Calibre on system, it did not respect the settings.

please, please, please, we really need a Calibre night mode, dark mode, whatever you want to call it. windows no longer has a way to play nicely with Calibre. old eyes need it, Kovid. please.

(monetize it if need be, I'll pay, but please???)

#9  kovidgoyal 12-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Microsoft might have removed the GUI for it but the settings still exist, see https://superuser.com/questions/949920/window-color-and-appearance-removed-in-win10

and

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel

#10  pghaworth 12-06-2019, 05:15 PM
Quote kovidgoyal
Microsoft might have removed the GUI for it but the settings still exist, see https://superuser.com/questions/949920/window-color-and-appearance-removed-in-win10

and

https://www.wintools.info/index.php/classic-color-panel
thanks. I'll give it a try. hope this won't prevent me from dark everywhere and that Calibre accepts it, set to system, since it wouldn't before.

I was able to make theme changes to dark, but Calibre refused to display them.

Next »  Last »  (1/12)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register