Mobileread
Calibre Reader 4.1.0 Reference Mode?
#1  Skydancer 10-23-2019, 03:34 AM
I found the reference mode in previous versions of Calibre Reader very useful, but I can't find it anymore in the new version. Was it deprecated?

#2  kovidgoyal 10-23-2019, 03:59 AM
yes, it was not very robust, dint work to efer to images for example. Instead use Go to->Location

#3  duns 12-04-2019, 03:32 PM
It not the same thing: reference mode is necessary for intellectual work! We must cite exactly where a citation is.

#4  PeterT 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Quote duns
It not the same thing: reference mode is necessary for intellectual work! We must cite exactly where a citation is.
I feel that if you need that degree of accuracy that you would cite a published printed edition and not an epub version.

#5  DNSB 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM
Quote duns
Your choices are pretty limited. You can either get a dead tree copy or a print replica AKA pdf edition. Otherwise any references are not going to be "exactly where a citation is".

#6  duns 12-05-2019, 03:56 AM
Quote DNSB
Your choices are pretty limited. You can either get a dead tree copy or a print replica AKA pdf edition. Otherwise any references are not going to be "exactly where a citation is".
Thank you, but I think that epub should be a real possibility for intellectual work.
You can see i.g. this and this .
I don't understand why you dont't leave the possibility, (only) for people who want it (I mean: not shown by default), to keep this feature.

#7  Zetmolm 12-05-2019, 03:57 AM
In the old deadtree world you really needed an exact reference to find a citation in the cited work. In the electronic world we have a feature called Search. All you need to do is copy (part of) the citation to the Search field and there you are! I guess the intellectuals doing the intellectual work will sooner or later grasp this concept of Searching.

#8  duns 12-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Quote Zetmolm
In the old deadtree world you really needed an exact reference to find a citation in the cited work. In the electronic world we have a feature called Search. All you need to do is copy (part of) the citation to the Search field and there you are! I guess the intellectuals doing the intellectual work will sooner or later grasp this concept of Searching.
Thank you. But academic world does not work that way. And fortunately! but I am not interested in discussing it here; my question rather is: does it cost you so much to keep the reference mode?

#9  theducks 12-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Quote duns
Thank you. But academic world does not work that way. And fortunately! but I am not interested in discussing it here; my question rather is: does it cost you so much to keep the reference mode?
How can something that is worthless as a standard (Calibre is NOT a universal 'Standard', traceable thru weights and measures. ) have cost?

#10  duns 12-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Quote theducks
How can something that is worthless as a standard (Calibre is NOT a universal 'Standard', traceable thru weights and measures. ) have cost?
What do you mean? (I don't understand). But I think I (/we) can find a workaround in css (css autonumbering).

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register