Mobileread
iOS eReader App Suggestions (ePub, mobi, PDF) TiReader, Yomu, KyBook, etc?
#1  varaonaid 03-25-2019, 04:33 PM
Hello,

I am a recent convert to iOS and use my iPad Pro now for everything. One of the few things I’ve yet to settle into is an eReader app. I use a Calibre server hosted on our Linux home media box so I’d like the ability to be able to access that. I’d also like support of ePub, mobi, & PDF at a minimum (possibly the mobi related azw3), as well as ability to sync reading location across iOS devices. Need cloud integration (Dropbox, Google Drive, iCloud, etc) and integration from free services like Project Gutenberg would be a bonus.

I’ve downloaded and tried about 15 different apps thus far, and I’m trying not to have to purchase the pro/paid version of all of them just to try out. I have no problems whatsoever paying for the app that will handle all my reading. I’m just trying not to pay for 5 or 6 of them as funds aren’t that abundant. Hence my question here. From what I’ve narrowed down, it seems like TiReader, Yomu, and possibly KyBook or KyBook 3 might do these but I wondered a) if anyone has used any of these and what you think of them and b) what the difference is in KyBook & KyBook 3. Of course, any other suggestions are welcome. I might even consider an ePub and PDF only reader (leaving Calibre to convert all my Amazon Kindle purchases over the years to ePub, if you feel like the conversion is solid enough at this point to be fairly indistinguishable from the original format...I know this isn’t the case for converting PDF and I still have too many of these to not have it supported).

Thanks so much in advance! I look forward to hearing your thoughts and learning more from this amazing community.

(PS I did read the thread about some iOS apps but when I looked them up, they didn’t appear to support the different formats.)

#2  Lparsons21 03-25-2019, 04:40 PM
Apple’s Books app supports both ePub and pdf. Don’t know if it still works with Calibre though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#3  nimapourkarimi 03-25-2019, 08:27 PM
I've used Apple Books, Marvin, Mapleread, Kybook, Kybook2 & Kybook3. In epub rendering
department none of them beat Apple Books with Mapleread being a close second, but regarding the ease of adding books, library management, multiple cloud services and formats support none of them come close to Kybook 3, it's being actively developed and a plugin for syncing Kybook3 with calibre is on its way by "karl1c", one of mobileread users.

#4  kyteflyer 03-26-2019, 12:14 AM
Might be worth having a look at Pocketbook Reader. Its not bad. Connects to Calibre, syncs with Dropbox, very configurable.

#5  maximus83 03-26-2019, 11:51 AM
OK I haven't even gotten my first iOS device yet--the Mini is on the way--but Kybook 3 looks like my app. I read the description on the App Store page, and they had me at....

• Draw annotations in any ebook (Apple Pencil support and just by touching).

• Annotations exports in Markdown, HTML, PDF, RTF formats.

Wow, why don't we have a reader app like this in Android?

#6  downeaster59 03-26-2019, 04:18 PM
I have used Apple Books and Mapleread, and each has its strengths.

After reading this thread, I checked out Kybook 3 and it looks impressive!

Still, if you're willing to consider an app just for PDF, check out GoodReader!

#7  karl1c 03-30-2019, 10:13 AM
Another vote for KyBook 3. :-)

KyBook, KyBook 2, & KyBook 3 are all by the same author. KyBook & KyBook 2 are being phased out, so I'd start with KyBook 3 if I were you.

I'm currently working on a plugin for Calibre to sync to KyBook 3. It should be available shortly.

#8  maximus83 03-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Quote karl1c
Another vote for KyBook 3. :-)

KyBook, KyBook 2, & KyBook 3 are all by the same author. KyBook & KyBook 2 are being phased out, so I'd start with KyBook 3 if I were you.

I'm currently working on a plugin for Calibre to sync to KyBook 3. It should be available shortly.
Any hope of an Android port? Dang we need this on Android.

#9  karl1c 04-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Plugin now available https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...94#post3826694

#10  nimapourkarimi 04-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Thank you so very much karl1c.

Next »  Last »  (1/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register