Mobileread
Free Library of Philadelphia
#1  GeckoFriend 11-02-2020, 09:14 AM
I've been unable to login to FLP for two days. Error message is "The library authentication server is overwhelmed due to high volume. Requests will be denied until it recovers".

I've tried clearing history and cache. Any suggestions?

#2  JSWolf 11-02-2020, 09:26 AM
Quote GeckoFriend
I've been unable to login to FLP for two days. Error message is "The library authentication server is overwhelmed due to high volume. Requests will be denied until it recovers".

I've tried clearing history and cache. Any suggestions?
I just logged in after getting the same error.

#3  GeckoFriend 11-02-2020, 09:31 AM
Thanks Jon. I also am able to log in now.

#4  Catlady 11-02-2020, 12:33 PM
I'm noticing your locations--I thought FLP had stopped offering out-of-state library cards.

I used to have their card but stopped renewing it several years ago. For some reason, though, in the past few months I have been getting notices of Overdrive books available to borrow; they generally seem to be books that are several years old, and I believe they are probably books I recommended that FLP has now acquired. Whatever, it's annoying since I have no account and no way to reject the books they're holding for me.

#5  issybird 11-02-2020, 01:02 PM
Quote Catlady
I'm noticing your locations--I thought FLP had stopped offering out-of-state library cards.
They have. However, until 2013, FLP gave free cards to vets, members of the military and seniors, and those who obtained cards on the basis of one of those categories were grandfathered. My guess is they didn’t want to take cards away from the military and figured that they’d lose the senior and vet cards through attrition.

They were losing money even at $50, by my calculations, and even more so obviously on the free cards. I hope those who’ve been lucky enough to be grandfathered are entitled to the privilege. I think there’s a lot of abuse of library cards, frankly.

#6  John F 11-02-2020, 02:00 PM
Quote Catlady

I used to have their card but stopped renewing it several years ago. For some reason, though, in the past few months I have been getting notices of Overdrive books available to borrow; they generally seem to be books that are several years old, and I believe they are probably books I recommended that FLP has now acquired. Whatever, it's annoying since I have no account and no way to reject the books they're holding for me.
I'm seeing this also. My card expired in September, and I get the occasional email saying an ebook is ready for checkout. The interesting thing is that I know I did recommend the ebooks at one point, but had since removed them from my recommended list.

#7  Catlady 11-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Quote John F
I'm seeing this also. My card expired in September, and I get the occasional email saying an ebook is ready for checkout. The interesting thing is that I know I did recommend the ebooks at one point, but had since removed them from my recommended list.
I'm assuming it has to do with Overdrive's new-ish system of letting you postpone borrowing when a hold comes through. Which means it's delaying getting the book to the next person, since the book sits there waiting for me for three days, and I can't reject it without an active account.

#8  JSWolf 11-02-2020, 05:26 PM
Quote issybird
They have. However, until 2013, FLP gave free cards to vets, members of the military and seniors, and those who obtained cards on the basis of one of those categories were grandfathered. My guess is they didn’t want to take cards away from the military and figured that they’d lose the senior and vet cards through attrition.

They were losing money even at $50, by my calculations, and even more so obviously on the free cards. I hope those who’ve been lucky enough to be grandfathered are entitled to the privilege. I think there’s a lot of abuse of library cards, frankly.
When my card expired in 2019, I called the library and managed to get my card renewed. I'll try the same thing again when it expires. I won't get my hopes up.

#9  issybird 11-02-2020, 06:16 PM
Quote JSWolf
When my card expired in 2019, I called the library and managed to get my card renewed. I'll try the same thing again when it expires. I won't get my hopes up.
That’s nice to hear. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

#10  GeckoFriend 11-03-2020, 09:02 AM
Quote issybird

Good analysis. My spouse is an 87 year old vet still eligible to use his FLP card.

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register