Mobileread
MacGuffin
#11  hobnail 10-19-2020, 06:24 PM
Quote pwalker8
And the Bond girls, don't forget the Bond girls.
Their names.

#12  Uncle Robin 10-19-2020, 07:10 PM
Quote 4691mls
Well, as a heterosexual female, they didn't do anything for me
As a hetero male, even in my teens, they didn't do much for me either.

#13  Quoth 10-21-2020, 01:55 PM
Quote DNSB
Hmm... One recent comic my daughter was reading had her wondering why the male characters wore combat suits that resembled the hydrocephalic gorilla used by RAH to describe the powered suits in Starship Troopers while the female characters wore outfits that appears to have been spray painted on and could not stop anything heavier than a gnat (or a teenage boy... )
Either she's very young or the penny dropped about 30 seconds later. Sigh. Real women warriors don't wear brass bikinis, or even a female version of the Greek stylised fake macho muscle man breastplates (the Greek warriors didn't look so impressive without them). Even the ancient Celts wore armour. It was only a few mad cultists that were naked. Ancient Norse and Celts had female warriors. They dressed same as the men.

That's why Jean d' Arc's trial was fake. All woman warriors then wore men's armour with padding lower to make it comfy. Even English people objected at the trial. A major charge was wearing male clothing. It was a classic the verdict is going to be execution, so let us make up charges.

#14  DNSB 10-21-2020, 02:55 PM
Quote Quoth
Either she's very young or the penny dropped about 30 seconds later. Sigh. Real women warriors don't wear brass bikinis, or even a female version of the Greek stylised fake macho muscle man breastplates (the Greek warriors didn't look so impressive without them). Even the ancient Celts wore armour. It was only a few mad cultists that were naked. Ancient Norse and Celts had female warriors. They dressed same as the men.

That's why Jean d' Arc's trial was fake. All woman warriors then wore men's armour with padding lower to make it comfy. Even English people objected at the trial. A major charge was wearing male clothing. It was a classic the verdict is going to be execution, so let us make up charges.
She's been long annoyed by the fact that in many video games, the male and female characters' costumes are designed by the type of person who is still living in his teen fantasies. The first issues of the comic were drawn by a different person and basically, all the characters wore the powered suits for combat. Unfortunately, my impression is that it was not as popular as hoped so in the hopes of improving the comic's appeal, a new graphics artist was brought in. Not sure how it did elsewhere but for my daughter, it was the last copy she purchased.

#15  leebase 10-21-2020, 10:51 PM
Would Spice, in Dune, be a Macguffin? The characters certainly care about the spice, it moves the plat along, but really, the story isn't about Spice but power and control of people (among many other themes).

#16  pwalker8 10-22-2020, 08:42 AM
Quote leebase
Would Spice, in Dune, be a Macguffin? The characters certainly care about the spice, it moves the plat along, but really, the story isn't about Spice but power and control of people (among many other themes).
Probably.

Interesting. I probably never should have used the term McGuffin since most seem to focus on the Hitchcock definition of the term, rather than what I was actually talking about. That's ok. Threads do tend to go where they want to and it's been interesting.

#17  Quoth 10-22-2020, 10:15 AM
I think Dune, Fremen and Spice inspired by Arabia/Gulf, Tuaregs, and Big Oil and Gas.

There might even be a crypto-zoology giant sand worm in Mongolia?

#18  rkomar 10-22-2020, 12:48 PM
It seems to me that most secondary characters are there to move the story about the protagonists along. I think it might be more interesting to ask if there are any books that don't have such MacGuffin characters in them.

#19  pwalker8 10-23-2020, 05:59 PM
Quote rkomar
It seems to me that most secondary characters are there to move the story about the protagonists along. I think it might be more interesting to ask if there are any books that don't have such MacGuffin characters in them.
Sure. This one struck me as odd since he was one of the few major point of view characters and perhaps a quarter of the book was from his point of view, but yea, I suspect you could identify such a character, though perhaps having a much smaller role, in most works.

« First  « Prev   (2/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register