Mobileread
Likebook Alita bricked after accidentally flashing Mars firmware..
#11  FixMyAlita 09-10-2020, 06:15 AM
Quote ottischwenk
There is something wrong with the description (Pt 5). So the picture is that of Mars and not of Alita.
Yes definitely, I had another good look and noticed the "upgrade key" they reference is actually next to the power button on the Alita.. Oops. I don't see myself successfully performing a DIY fix at this stage, so I'm probably going to have to send it somewhere else. Hopefully this helps people not make the same mistakes I did.

#12  rvcjew 09-11-2020, 04:50 PM
Quote FixMyAlita
Here's a Likebook Alita K103 PDF sent to me by a tech support guy on their Facebook, it contains instructions detailing how to flash a default system image for the device, unfortunately as far as I'm aware it's missing what the technician calls "TP FW" (Not sure what the TP stands for), but for whatever reason that prevents me from resetting the pointer calibration. Maybe someone else will find this PDF useful anyway.
I'm confused the guide that was sent seems to have the Firmware needed and you did flash this and it works but you can't calibrate the stylus?

#13  FixMyAlita 09-12-2020, 05:48 AM
Quote rvcjew
I'm confused the guide that was sent seems to have the Firmware needed and you did flash this and it works but you can't calibrate the stylus?
That's true, but because I had accidentally flashed MARS firmware on my Alita device (Don't operate dangerous software in the late hours of the night), after flashing this the touchscreen itself has become misaligned, when I tap somewhere it'll trigger a touch somewhere else, this doesn't only affect the stylus but the entire device itself, rendering it pretty much unusable.

#14  rvcjew 09-12-2020, 05:55 AM
Sounds like you just flashed over the old firmware and not wiping the device when flashing the correct one. Did all your internal storage stay the same? Also after flashing it have you tried a factory reset now?

#15  FixMyAlita 09-12-2020, 05:57 AM
Quote rvcjew
Sounds like you just flashed over the old firmware and not wiping the device when flashing the correct one. Did all your internal storage stay the same? Also after flashing it have you tried a factory reset now?
That's a really interesting point, last time I just followed what the guide said, I've tried reflashing a couple of times without success but haven't tried wiping the device thoroughly beforehand, I'll give that a try. Will report back with the results.

#16  rvcjew 09-12-2020, 06:13 AM
You might want to ask them first. I mean that in the flashing software their should be a setting for this. But if do it wrong it might brick the device. As you have the firmware on it now try going into just the devices recovery menu and factory reset from there. I think normally you just boot with the pin held in without a usb cable. It should go to recovery and you pick options with the pin and hit power to accept them. If you have physical volume buttons then it might be those then power to confirm.

#17  FixMyAlita 09-12-2020, 06:49 AM
Quote rvcjew
You might want to ask them first. I mean that in the flashing software their should be a setting for this. But if do it wrong it might brick the device. As you have the firmware on it now try going into just the devices recovery menu and factory reset from there. I think normally you just boot with the pin held in without a usb cable. It should go to recovery and you pick options with the pin and hit power to accept them. If you have physical volume buttons then it might be those then power to confirm.
I did end up getting to the recovery menu with the pin held in and the power button, however I can't seem to change options, swiping, tapping, long presses and short presses of the pin don't work, when tapping or long pressing the power button it just reboots the device, seems like I've reached a dead end. I can apparently wipe it with fastboot, so I might give that a try next.

#18  rvcjew 09-12-2020, 07:17 AM
Quote FixMyAlita
I did end up getting to the recovery menu with the pin held in and the power button, however I can't seem to change options, swiping, tapping, long presses and short presses of the pin don't work, when tapping or long pressing the power button it just reboots the device, seems like I've reached a dead end. I can apparently wipe it with fastboot, so I might give that a try next.
Touch screen won't work in recovery period. Is there a physical home button on the device, that might move the line down. Also when trying the pin your not holding the power button anymore right?

#19  bazz2004 09-12-2020, 08:49 AM
Apart from the on off button the Alita is touch screen operated.
I'm not at all comfortable with doing anything with my Alita but I can make a couple of observations.
When setting up an SD card you have to opt for internal or external storage and I made the wrong choice - internal. That meant the SD card was no longer accessible from file manager. Boyue did answer an email and said that I'd set it up incorrectly. In my ignorance I then wiped the SD card which at that point had parts of the OS on it. Total horror because it no longer worked properly. I did manage a factory reset but cannot remember any details.
Secondly, I much prefer a PC for everything apart from e-reading. I can connect the Alita to Windows 10 via a usb c cable. On the PC you can then see all the Alita files and folders. Maybe Boyue could supply an image for the Alita that you could then transfer and install on the Alita's internal memory?
Apologies if I'm posting complete drivel about this recovery possibility.

#20  FixMyAlita 09-12-2020, 10:07 AM
Quote rvcjew
Is there a physical home button on the device, that might move the line down. Also when trying the pin your not holding the power button anymore right?
There's an inoperable 'button' on the front that has no tactile feedback, normally it's the 'back' button and vibrates when you press it, unfortunately this isn't the case for me because of what I figure is the touch screen misalignment, but I suspect it's for navigating that menu when it doeswork, maybe another dead end. I'm releasing the power button as soon as I boot into recovery mode.

Quote bazz2004
Maybe Boyue could supply an image for the Alita that you could then transfer and install on the Alita's internal memory?
Apologies if I'm posting complete drivel about this recovery possibility.
Not at all, that's probably the logical thing to consider. I asked the technician I'm in contact with and they tell me because the firmware images they share don't contain "TP Firmware" (maybe this is code word for some other .img file they refuse to distribute), the flashing of a new system image won't overwrite whatever's happened to the touch screen variables, the reason this is an issue is that the Mars image I flashed apparently does contain this "TP Firmware" and so it was able to make changes to how the touch screen reacts to touch.. Which is painful.

Ihave an idea I'm going to run by a technician on their Facebook, in the AndroidTool/RKDevTool you can download the oem.img, vendor.img, etc. I think if I can get someone with an Alita to run RKDevTool and save theor 'default' copies of those files, I might be able to flash them onto my device and fix it, because if I'm not mistaken I think the firmware image is just for flashing a system.img, I'll ask.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/7)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register