Mobileread
What font are you using for what type of book?
#11  astrangerhere 08-04-2020, 04:52 PM
I use the IBM Plex Serif Semi Bold for everything. I really like the Plex and the weight of the semi-bold.

#12  JSWolf 08-04-2020, 05:11 PM
Quote astrangerhere
I use the IBM Plex Serif Semi Bold for everything. I really like the Plex and the weight of the semi-bold.
That's a pretty good looking font. Do you use IBM Plex Sans for sans-serif?

#13  NiMa 08-04-2020, 05:56 PM
IBM Plex Sans and Serif are pretty good fonts, just maybe... a little bit... harsh.
But it looks beautiful, though.
Plex Serif seems to be a strange mix between classic serif fonts and modern Sans Serif fonts, but it looks OK.
Plex Sans is great, only in my Kobo I have some problems with the weight, the font always showing in "light" forms instead of "Regular".
However, with Plato or KOReader, this solves a part of the problem.

#14  Sirtel 08-04-2020, 06:15 PM
Quote NiMa
Plex Sans is great, only in my Kobo I have some problems with the weight, the font always showing in "light" forms instead of "Regular".
However, with Plato or KOReader, this solves a part of the problem.
Kobo is very capricious in regard to fonts. I had to edit many of my custom fonts with FontForge, otherwise Kobo didn't display them correctly.

Well, Kindles are capricious too, but a bit less than a Kobo.

#15  hobnail 08-04-2020, 08:07 PM
These are all for the body font of course.

For Westerns I use either Rye or Ewert:

image »
image »

If the setting is Hawaii or the South Pacific then Hanalei:

image »

For horror, Creepster:

image »

For cozy mysteries then Mystery Quest is the best:

image »

#16  JSWolf 08-04-2020, 09:26 PM
Quote Sirtel
Kobo is very capricious in regard to fonts. I had to edit many of my custom fonts with FontForge, otherwise Kobo didn't display them correctly.

Well, Kindles are capricious too, but a bit less than a Kobo.
Is this for KePub or ePub? Does one or the other work better with fonts?

#17  ZodWallop 08-04-2020, 09:37 PM
Quote Sirtel
...and DejaVu Serif Eink (modified by a MR member) on my Nook.
Do you embed the fonts in the ePub?

On my Nook, I use Georgia or Malabar. On my Kobo I mostly use Literata Book

#18  Sirtel 08-05-2020, 01:36 AM
Quote JSWolf
Is this for KePub or ePub? Does one or the other work better with fonts?
I don't use kepub, so no idea really how it behaves with fonts. From what I remember while trying different formats at first, epub was fussier. I use epub these days.

Quote ZodWallop
Do you embed the fonts in the ePub?
Yep. In those epubs that go to my Nook ( I keep separate libraries in Calibre for all my books, for Kindle/Nook books in epub/azw3 and for Kobo books in epub. The titles mostly overlap between the last two and are included in the first, but as they require different settings - plugboards for Nook and Kindle, font embedding for Nook - it's simpler this way).

#19  astrangerhere 08-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Quote JSWolf
That's a pretty good looking font. Do you use IBM Plex Sans for sans-serif?
I very rarely if ever use sans-serif, but were I going to, I would probably use the Plex.

#20  JSWolf 08-05-2020, 08:26 AM
Quote astrangerhere
I very rarely if ever use sans-serif, but were I going to, I would probably use the Plex.
Some books use sans serif. Sometimes just for chapter headers and sometimes in the main text. I;m going to get the IBM Plex Sans a try and see how it goes.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (2/9)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register