Mobileread
Steven King likes the Kindle
#1  Kingston 01-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Of course he liked the Rocket reader too:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20172616,00.html

#2  schulzmc 01-19-2008, 08:51 PM
"You cannot, for instance, listen to one of the later Patricia Cornwell novels without realizing how little feel she has for language,"

Totally cracked me up!

#3  HarryT 01-20-2008, 08:39 AM
I entirely agree with the sentiment, however. The early "Kay Scarpetta" novels were excellent but she's completely "lost the plot" now, IMHO. The last couple have been absolutely dire. She's switched from writing in the third person to using the first person, which I find very distracting.

I do "listen" to many novels, by the way; I have a 45 minute journey to and from work every day and fill the time by listening to audiobooks.

#4  astra 01-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I am trying to imagine Stephen King sitting at home and reading books ...on ebook reader (be it Kindle or anything else)..... I fail

#5  KlondikeGeoff 01-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Quote HarryT
I do "listen" to many novels, by the way; I have a 45 minute journey to and from work every day and fill the time by listening to audiobooks.
We do also, as travel in the Southwest U.S. entails some really long distances. Slogging along the freeways (even at 75 mph) gets terminally boring after a while, and listening to books makes the time fly.

I find a huge difference in the narrators' ability, usually feeling the worst are those done by the authors. Some professionals are truly amazing at doing different voices. I wonder how they keep track of all of them as they go from one to another.

#6  SpiderMatt 01-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Will Kindles replace books? No. And not just because books furnish a room, either. There's a permanence to books that underlines the importance of the ideas and the stories we find inside them; books solidify an otherwise fragile medium.
A good point to make. I don't understand why anyone would expect or want ebooks to replace paper books.

By the by, I liked Neil Gaiman's plug for the Kindle on the Amazon page.

#7  Alisa 01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Personally, I'm a big fan of trees.

#8  Ervserver 01-20-2008, 03:42 PM
Unless one plans to read a book several times over or use for future reference I see no point in having to have paper books. Maybe there are those with a compulsive disorder who have to have stacks and stacks of books around

#9  Alisa 01-20-2008, 10:35 PM
There are books I would like to have in a permanent medium to go back to again and again. The number is small. Paper is not permanent enough for me to store those books. Paper gets dusty, stinky and moldy over time. I have old beloved books now that I can't look at for more than a few minutes without getting red-eyed and sneezy.

#10  astra 01-21-2008, 05:05 AM
Quote Alisa
Paper gets dusty, stinky and moldy over time. I have old beloved books now that I can't look at for more than a few minutes without getting red-eyed and sneezy.
Where/how do you keep them??

Next »  Last »  (1/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register