Mobileread
Has anyone else noticed that it's harder to read Books at night because of brightness
#1  2scre 09-08-2020, 01:30 PM
I noticed you can dim the brightness more on Kindle app and Moon Reader compared to the minimum brightness on Books.

Anyone else find minimum brightness on Books not dim enough?

I think this happens because there is not a separate light control function on the app, but it rather uses the same brightness as the rest of the iPhone, but iPhone's minimum brightness doesn't go dark enough especially because you can't download a 3rd party bluelight blocker app.

#2  Deskisamess 09-08-2020, 01:36 PM
Get a front lit e-ink reader such as a Kindle or Kobo. They are much easier on the eyes...I can easily read for hours in a dark room on my Kindles. And they are easily used outside in bright sun.

I can only read 15 minutes or so on my back-lit devices in a dark room, even using Night Shift and lowering the screen light.

#3  OtinG 09-08-2020, 02:00 PM
You can go into the iPhone/iPad Settings-->Display & Brightness and try one or more of these options:
Personally I’ve never been a fan of the Books app. Apple begrudgingly included it, but it is obvious they don’t give a bleep about it or about their book store. Therefore it is a bare bones app with hardly any viewing options.

I have no issue reading for hours on my iPad mini 5 using the Kindle app, but I never read in a totally dark room at night. I always leave a very dim light on. I also have a Kindle Oasis 3rd gen., but I prefer to use the iPad mini 5 most of the time.

#4  tomsem 09-08-2020, 08:49 PM
I would use Night theme (white text on black).

#5  Dylrob 09-08-2020, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I second the suggestion for a night theme. It cuts down on the brightness a lot.

#6  Deskisamess 09-08-2020, 09:08 PM
White text on black on a backlit tablet is horrible for me. Even with the screen brightness turned way down, it's like little shards of light coming at my eyeballs in a dark room.

#7  2scre 09-08-2020, 11:20 PM
Quote tomsem
I would use Night theme (white text on black).
It was still too bright even with the Night theme. I noticed that reading on an OLED Android phone with bluelight blocker turned on made it readable.

#8  OtinG 09-08-2020, 11:30 PM
Quote Deskisamess
White text on black on a backlit tablet is horrible for me. Even with the screen brightness turned way down, it's like little shards of light coming at my eyeballs in a dark room.
I totally agree, white lettering on black background is hard on my eyes and it causes the “mini blinds” effect when I look at something other than the display screen. I prefer using a medium-dark grey with light grey lettering like I used with my personal website. Much easier on my old eyes.

#9  leebase 09-09-2020, 09:34 AM
For night reading I go with a very dark green background and dark yellow text. Comfort comes from getting the contrast down as well as the light level. With experimentation, you should find your own sweet spot combination.

But yes....black on a white background...even at the lowest light level is not comfortable for me reading in a dark room.

#10  ilovejedd 09-10-2020, 12:37 AM
Settings > Accessibility > Display > Reduce White Point

I’ve got a shortcut for Accessibility in the Control Center so I can easily enable it at night. Better than app-specific controls since it’s universal and switching between your ereader app of choice to, say, Safari won’t suddenly blind you.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register