Mobileread
New Leaf Nominations for December 2019 • The End of the Road: Finales
#21  gmw 11-02-2019, 09:11 PM
I third Ending Up by Kingsley Amis

I second The End of the Affair by Graham Greene

So many books, so few votes.

#22  Catlady 11-02-2019, 09:45 PM
I nominate The Final Days by Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein (1976, 500 pp.).

“An extraordinary work of reportage on the epic political story of our time” (Newsweek)—from Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, Pulitzer Prize-winning coauthors of All the President’s Men.

The Final Days is the #1 New York Times bestselling, classic, behind-the-scenes account of Richard Nixon’s dramatic last months as president. Moment by moment, Bernstein and Woodward portray the taut, post-Watergate White House as Nixon, his family, his staff, and many members of Congress strained desperately to prevent his inevitable resignation. This brilliant book reveals the ordeal of Nixon’s fall from office—one of the gravest crises in presidential history.
Ebook and audiobook. Available in all relevant countries, as well as through Overdrive and Scribd.

Amazon U.S.
, $13.99

#23  Victoria 11-03-2019, 12:54 PM
I second The Remorseful Day. ‘Inspector Morse’ was my all time favourite BBC mystery, and actually bought the series, though expensive at the time. So I’m quite curious about the books.

Tough choice though - I wish I hadn’t wasted a vote on two nominations. That’ll learn me.

#24  CRussel 11-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Quote Victoria
I second The Remorseful Day. ‘Inspector Morse’ was my all time favourite BBC mystery, and actually bought the series, though expensive at the time. So I’m quite curious about the books.

Tough choice though - I wish I hadn’t wasted a vote on two nominations. That’ll learn me.
Yes, I find a single nomination leaves me a bit more room to maneuver. (FWIW, I read the second and third of the Morse, and quite enjoyed them. But haven't read this one. )

#25  Bookpossum 11-03-2019, 05:49 PM
A single nomination and two votes to second or third other books also means we have a greater number of fully nominated books, unless some people don’t nominate a book but simply support others’ nominations.

I third The End of the Affair.

#26  issybird 11-04-2019, 09:14 AM
I'm seconding The World Without Us, which is outside my usual and sounds timely and provocative.

#27  Victoria 11-04-2019, 04:42 PM
Quote Bookpossum
A single nomination and two votes to second or third other books also means we have a greater number of fully nominated books, unless some people don’t nominate a book but simply support others’ nominations.

I third The End of the Affair.
Very good point Bookpossum - we have a string of unsupported/half supported books this month. There are 3 I wish I could help get over the line.

#28  Bookpossum 11-04-2019, 06:33 PM
I will third The World Without Us - I have often speculated on how much better off it would be if we all disappeared.

#29  gmw 11-04-2019, 08:01 PM
Quote Bookpossum
I will third The World Without Us - I have often speculated on how much better off it would be if we all disappeared.
You have to wonder what the dinosaurs would have written: imagine if those creepy, furry little rat-things take over the world? Errk!

#30  Bookworm_Girl 11-05-2019, 02:00 AM
I will second The Stone Angel and third Every Man Dies Alone.

« First  « Prev Next »  Last »  (3/4)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register