Mobileread
PRS-650 Do i update firmware.
#1  Philipt 05-26-2020, 06:09 AM
just started reusing my PRS 650 after 10 years !! The firmware is 1.0.00.08100. i looked at Sony website but last update seems to be for using Kobo. No problems with machine,apart from when on medium font size it can lose some lines when going to next page and i have to change back to small font setting temporarily to read the missing bits.Everything else is fine as i get used it. i am on Windows 10.So all i need to resolve is the font size problem.

#2  slkissinger 05-26-2020, 10:01 PM
I haven’t turned on my prs lately, but my question for you is are you using prs+ on your 650. Perhaps prs+ will help with your font size.

#3  Philipt 05-27-2020, 07:55 AM
No PRS+ added yet as I am still reading about what it does! It just has the original firmware 1.0.00.08100. I thought PRS+ was an addition to whatever firmware the machine is running and not actual firmware. I cannot see yet what number firmware is the latest from Sony for the PRS 650,and was really wondering how many updates there has been from the version I have,and more importantly what was changed in the machine's performance with the updates. The latest firmware I can see from Sony is for adding Kobo,but I believe that is now extinct so surely it would now be inconvenient to load that.
Regards.

#4  Philipt 05-27-2020, 08:04 AM
Thanks for reply. I have not tried PRS+ as I am still reading about it !! but I believe that is an just an add on anyway to whatever firmware the machine is running on. I cannot find out how many upgrades there have been from 1.0.00.08100,and what each one changed in the machine's performance. The reason I am reluctant to load the last one I can see from Sony,is because it seems to be for adding Kobo,but I believe that is now extinct so surely it could make life more inconvenient.
Regards

#5  slkissinger 05-27-2020, 09:40 PM
I pulled out my 650 to look at. It has 1.0.00.14080. And prs+ 2.1.02alpha

Regarding fonts, I personally never played with them. But a google search brought me here, http://erhartc.net/ereading/fonts-for-prs/ which looks promising as a how to guide. Good luck!

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register