Mobileread
Do all ereaders have a back function?
#1  spinster 06-17-2018, 07:01 PM
Hello,

I don’t have an ereader and have never used one. I do my reading on a MacBook Pro. I need to know if all ereaders have a back function. I have written an ebook with a lot of cross-referenced hyperlinks, so a return link will only link to one location, so will not work. If all ereaders have a back function, as I suppose, that would solve the problem, as it would serve as a return link to wherever you linked from. Do all ereaders have a back function, and if so, is there any problem with it serving as an all-purpose return link that I can’t foresee?

Thanks kindly for any and all insights.

#2  Deskisamess 06-17-2018, 07:20 PM
All of the Kindles I've used do. The "back" feature was changed on the last Fires I used, but still worked if you understood it. The old "back" arrow closed the book instead of returning to the spot in the book. But they replaced it with dots at the bottom you could tap in order to return.

The Kindle apps for iDevices worked that way as well. I'd think that feature is pretty standard...

#3  spinster 06-17-2018, 07:41 PM
Thanks, Deskisamess. Like you, I think it must be a standard feature. I hope I will get the same encouraging feedback on other devices and reading apps.

#4  davidfor 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Both Kobo and tolino ereaders have a back button as well.

#5  spinster 06-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Thanks, davidfor.

#6  Adoby 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM
Some devices have only one (physical) button. And it is a back-button...

#7  Hitch 06-18-2018, 01:31 PM
Quote spinster
Hello,

I don’t have an ereader and have never used one. I do my reading on a MacBook Pro. I need to know if all ereaders have a back function. I have written an ebook with a lot of cross-referenced hyperlinks, so a return link will only link to one location, so will not work. If all ereaders have a back function, as I suppose, that would solve the problem, as it would serve as a return link to wherever you linked from. Do all ereaders have a back function, and if so, is there any problem with it serving as an all-purpose return link that I can’t foresee?

Thanks kindly for any and all insights.
NO, they do not. Many of the older and less-advanced Kindles don't, and any number of ePUB reader devices don't.

I deal with this all the time, due to the linking of indices, and the many-to-one problem. If all devices had a back function, I wouldn't have to worry about it--but they don't.

You cannot assume the existence of the Back function, I'm sorry to say.

Hitch

#8  Deskisamess 06-18-2018, 02:27 PM
The 2nd gen Kindle has the "back" feature. It's even called out specifically in the user guide. All since then have as well...I've never had the very first model, so don't know about that one.

#9  Hitch 06-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Quote Deskisamess
The 2nd gen Kindle has the "back" feature. It's even called out specifically in the user guide. All since then have as well...I've never had the very first model, so don't know about that one.
I honestly don't recall, now, which one(s) (Kindles, Nooks, whatever) lacked the Back functionality, but I know that early on, in the days when we were first starting to think about indexing, we encountered the reality that not everyone/every device has back functionality. This engendered bigtime issues, around the many-to-one problems in indices, in which you have multiple entries, in a given index, going to the same PAGE in a print book. You can't easily create a backlink, for, say, page 26, that will take the reader back to where she was, in the index, if you have more than one inbound link.

I know that I'd have loved to think that all devices had back buttons. It would have solved a lot of headache for me. Not to mention, trying to explain the issues around multiple inbound targets, to a client, and getting readers "back" to where they were, in the index, is never fun.

Hitch

#10  Doitsu 06-19-2018, 09:22 AM
@spinster: Also have a look at this related thread.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register