Mobileread
PW3 Went Dead - need to know the reasons !!!
#1  Alaxander609 01-24-2021, 07:04 PM
Hi All,

My PW3 & 7thgen is 4 years old, I haven't used it for a year & had Battery Indication which I charged it for 20-30 mins & used for a day.

1. While side loading it got hung - Tried force boot but orange light blinks 4-5 times & then nothing. It shows as orange while charging , kept it for two days on charge still noting. I suspect battery

2. Also when side loading I deleted few books from document folder - what are the chances I deleted some system file & Kindle Bricked.

----

Now for battery I have teardown the kindle & removed the battery & performed the surgery to retain the battery controller - I m still to get the battery & put it behind the controller - Similar to what is shown below --

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=274761

-------

Now can any one tell me what are the obvious causes ??

Any assistance would be appreciated. Please help a new member ...

#2  haertig 01-25-2021, 05:27 AM
Quote Alaxander609
Hi All,

My PW3 & 7thgen is 4 years old, I haven't used it for a year & had Battery Indication which I charged it for 20-30 mins & used for a day.
Sounds like typical low battery behavior to me. After you charged it for 20 minutes, did the battery indicator show a higher charge level than it did before?

1. While side loading it got hung - Tried force boot but orange light blinks 4-5 times & then nothing.
Sounds like really dead battery behavior.
It shows as orange while charging , kept it for two days on charge still noting. I suspect battery
Or a charger problem. You said it showed orange while charging. Did it ever turn green? (that indicates charging has completed)
2. Also when side loading I deleted few books from document folder - what are the chances I deleted some system file & Kindle Bricked.
The chances are about zero, if you were in the document folder.
Now for battery I have teardown the kindle & removed the battery & performed the surgery to retain the battery controller
You are committed now. I hope the battery replacement works. If it doesn't, you will probably never know if the final cause of death was the original problem, or a new problem caused by the surgery. I would have tried a different charger and different cable before hitting it with the scalpel myself.

Good luck! I have no experience with battery replacement to offer any help in that department.

#3  Alaxander609 01-25-2021, 07:30 AM
Quote haertig
Sounds like typical low battery behavior to me. After you charged it for 20 minutes, did the battery indicator show a higher charge level than it did before?

Sounds like really dead battery behavior.

Or a charger problem. You said it showed orange while charging. Did it ever turn green? (that indicates charging has completed)

The chances are about zero, if you were in the document folder.

You are committed now. I hope the battery replacement works. If it doesn't, you will probably never know if the final cause of death was the original problem, or a new problem caused by the surgery. I would have tried a different charger and different cable before hitting it with the scalpel myself.

Good luck! I have no experience with battery replacement to offer any help in that department.
Hi, Thanks for replying, I have tried different chargers different cables & charged the kindle after dead for 4 days i.e. 2 days each set of different cables & power source. Connected to laptop, via power bank & wall outlet. It just shows orange led as charging - never changed to GREEN.

Tried freezing it for 2 hrs & charged it for 2 hrs still nothing. Agains same orange led.

I m sure if its a battery - it will get resolved with battery being replaced.

Only thing which is bugging me - I m not entirely confident if I deleted something from root as I was working late that night & was kinda sleepy, when loading manga to kindle..

What are possibility kindle won't boot up due to missing files from root ? If its true I screwed up the battery ...

#4  Paperbackstash 01-25-2021, 11:55 AM
My Oasis 3 battery completely died on me for some reason last week. It would not switch to green, I had to look online for advice with a fully dead battery. I held the power button down for 40 sec with it on a wall charger, then it flashed to green, then orange again, but resumed charging after I did that. You have probably tried this, but just in case...

#5  Alaxander609 01-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Quote Paperbackstash
My Oasis 3 battery completely died on me for some reason last week. It would not switch to green, I had to look online for advice with a fully dead battery. I held the power button down for 40 sec with it on a wall charger, then it flashed to green, then orange again, but resumed charging after I did that. You have probably tried this, but just in case...
Yes I did, it will only go orange blinking 5 times again back to orange.

#6  CathyA 01-25-2021, 01:02 PM
Quote Alaxander609
Only thing which is bugging me - I m not entirely confident if I deleted something from root as I was working late that night & was kinda sleepy, when loading manga to kindle..

What are possibility kindle won't boot up due to missing files from root ? If its true I screwed up the battery ...
Is it jailbroken? If not, it should be fine. If the book files are somehow corrupted, you can do a factory reset and then reload them.

If it is jailbroken, then how could we possibly guess whether or not you deleted some key part of the OS?

#7  Alaxander609 01-25-2021, 01:57 PM
Quote CathyA
Is it jailbroken? If not, it should be fine. If the book files are somehow corrupted, you can do a factory reset and then reload them.

If it is jailbroken, then how could we possibly guess whether or not you deleted some key part of the OS?
Thanks bro - you are music to my ears ... it is not jailbroken. Then it def battery issue. My Cheap Lipo battery would reach me in next 5 days - I will post the results of the battery surgery here.. thanks again for confirming

#8  haertig 01-25-2021, 04:13 PM
Since you tested other chargers, it's more sounding like a battery problem now. You said you froze the thing? You can destroy an LCD screen doing that. I don't know about an eInk screen though. Those may be more tolerant of freezing, I don't know.

#9  badgoodDeb 01-25-2021, 05:13 PM
Another trick I've seen is to connect the kindle to a wall charger (NOT to a computer) for a few days, because it gets a higher level of power from the wall.

#10  DNSB 01-25-2021, 05:23 PM
Quote haertig
Since you tested other chargers, it's more sounding like a battery problem now. You said you froze the thing? You can destroy an LCD screen doing that. I don't know about an eInk screen though. Those may be more tolerant of freezing, I don't know.
eInk screens are normally "frozen". Power is needed when making changes but when displaying static content no power is needed. When I pulled the battery from one of my ereader collection, what was on the screen remained there for at least 6 months until the replacement battery arrived and for I got around to installing it.

Next »  Last »  (1/3)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register