Mobileread
Forma How to "navigate" an epub with notes?
#1  carpler 01-23-2021, 03:16 PM
I recently read a book on my Kobo Forma. The text often had links to notes that were shown not at the bottom of the page but at the end of the book.
I could easily click on the link and reach the page that contained the note, but I didn't know how to go back to the page I started from.
Is there a way to do this easily? Does it depend on how the epub is made? Is there any suitable feature in the Kobo Forma firmware?

#2  Elektron 01-23-2021, 04:57 PM
I think there's a "go back to page X" option on footnotes. But if you want easy navigation, use kepubify. The footnotes show in a popup.

#3  PeterT 01-23-2021, 06:00 PM
One trick I'm known to do is to click the top right hand corner of the page before hitting the bookmark. That way if there is no back arrow Ivan goto my annotations and return to the correct location.

#4  Nightflyer 01-23-2021, 09:58 PM
Press that same link number or letter that you can see on the page where you are reading the note.

The same link number or letter that sent you to the note page should be there on the note page and acts like a return link.

#5  DNSB 01-23-2021, 11:15 PM
Quote Nightflyer
Press that same link number or letter that you can see on the page where you are reading the note.

The same link number or letter that sent you to the note page should be there on the note page and acts like a return link.
Assuming that the person/software that created the epub bothered to create the backlinks. I've seen several cases where the backlink from the note was to the table of contents page.

#6  carpler 01-24-2021, 07:43 AM
Quote Elektron
I think there's a "go back to page X" option on footnotes. But if you want easy navigation, use kepubify. The footnotes show in a popup.
The case I was referring to was links to notes at the end of the book, not footnotes. I have to upload a book with footnotes and check how my Forma behaves.
I don't know kepubify: I look at it very soon!

Quote PeterT
One trick I'm known to do is to click the top right hand corner of the page before hitting the bookmark. That way if there is no back arrow Ivan goto my annotations and return to the correct location.
Thank you for this trick: I did not think about it.

Quote Nightflyer

I checked and things are just as you described: thanks for the tip!

#7  davidfor 01-24-2021, 09:16 AM
If you are reading books with a lot of footnotes, you should consider converting them to kepub. The kepub reader will generally show the footnote as a popup. You can go to the actual footnote from there or cancel out. If you use calibre, you can use the KoboTouchExtended driver to transform the books to kepubs when sending the books to the device, or convert them and send using the built-in KoboTouch driver. If you do not use calibre, you can use kepubify to do the work.

If you want more information about kepubs, there has been a lot of discussion about them and a search should find it.

#8  JSWolf 01-24-2021, 09:51 AM
Quote davidfor
If you are reading books with a lot of footnotes, you should consider converting them to kepub. The kepub reader will generally show the footnote as a popup. You can go to the actual footnote from there or cancel out. If you use calibre, you can use the KoboTouchExtended driver to transform the books to kepubs when sending the books to the device, or convert them and send using the built-in KoboTouch driver. If you do not use calibre, you can use kepubify to do the work.

If you want more information about kepubs, there has been a lot of discussion about them and a search should find it.
I agree. The last eBook I read that had footnotes I wanted to read, I used KePub and I did get popup footnotes. It worked well.

#9  Elektron 01-24-2021, 02:48 PM
I suggested kepubify but apparently they're not footnotes. They're links to notes at the end of the ebook.

#10  davidfor 01-24-2021, 08:01 PM
Quote Elektron
I suggested kepubify but apparently they're not footnotes. They're links to notes at the end of the ebook.
Which, is how footnotes are implemented in ebooks. Some will be at the end of the chapter, but, collecting them all in a separate chapter at the end of the book is common. In any case, the kepub reader looks at the links and destination and decides if they are to be treated as footnotes. From @carpler's description, they are implemented in the book in a way that is intended to be seen as footnotes and it is probably that is who they will be handled.

@carpler: If you want to test this, rename the book on the device to have the "double" extension ".kepub.epub" instead of just ".epub". That should let you see if the footnotes work. There will be issues with the reading location (always opens to the start of a chapter) and bookmarks, but, you can test the look and feel.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register