Mobileread
Change DNS on Kobo
#1  cormaca 01-19-2021, 11:26 AM
I’m wondering if anyone knows of a way of changing WiFi settings on the Kobo to use a specific DNS and hence use that DNS when using the Kobo web browser?

Have seen an old post about changing the hosts file, but ideally I don’t want to mess around with the device too much, considering I don’t really have much experience with Kobos or e-readers.

Thanks

#2  trcm 01-19-2021, 01:17 PM
If you have enabled telnet access, you can login as root and....

You can edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf to say :
nohook lookup-hostname, resolv.conf

And edit /etc/resolv.conf to say :
nameserver 1.1.1.1

#3  cormaca 01-19-2021, 01:40 PM
Quote trcm
If you have enabled telnet access, you can login as root and....

You can edit /etc/dhcpcd.conf to say :
nohook lookup-hostname, resolv.conf

And edit /etc/resolv.conf to say :
nameserver 1.1.1.1
Thanks so much for help, but I’m a bit of a noob. Would you mind briefly explaining telnet access in this context? And the text you provided is word for word? I don’t have to replace nameserver with anything?

Thanks again

#4  DNSB 01-19-2021, 02:02 PM
If you are using your own WiFi at home, why not simply change your router's DNS servers? Unless for some reason, you need your Kobo ereader to use a different DNS from the rest of your network.

#5  JSWolf 01-19-2021, 02:36 PM
Depending on your ISP, you may not be able to change the DNS. In that case, changing the DNS on your Kobo would not work. So check if your ISP allows you to use a DNS of your choice before changing your Kobo.

#6  PeterT 01-19-2021, 03:01 PM
I've never heard of an ISP that prevents DNS changes

#7  binaryhermit 01-19-2021, 03:06 PM
Theoretically they could block outgoing UDP port 53 and outgoing TCP port 853 to anything but their DNS servers which would effectively block DNS and DNS over TLS respectively

Given the practice of ISPs using their so-called DNS servers to hijack NXDOMAIN results to sell ads and the fact that they as far as I know never did what I described implies that it's not worth it

#8  Elektron 01-19-2021, 04:56 PM
Quote cormaca
Thanks so much for help, but I’m a bit of a noob. Would you mind briefly explaining telnet access in this context? And the text you provided is word for word? I don’t have to replace nameserver with anything?

Thanks again
What operating system do you use? I'm inclined to believe you use Windows, in which case you have to open up Command Prompt, type in:
Code
telnet YOUR_KOBO_IP
To find your Kobo's IP, navigate to Settings ==> Device information.
I'm pretty sure you edit 1.1.1.1, not nameserver but I may be wrong.

#9  DNSB 01-19-2021, 05:00 PM
Quote JSWolf
Depending on your ISP, you may not be able to change the DNS. In that case, changing the DNS on your Kobo would not work. So check if your ISP allows you to use a DNS of your choice before changing your Kobo.
None of the major local ISPs block you from using an external DNS server. Now if you want to run your own DNS server or any other server? Look for a business/commercial internet option for that purpose. Be prepared for an extra zero in your monthly bill.

#10  JSWolf 01-19-2021, 06:33 PM
Set your DNS on your computer and then go to https://dnsleaktest.com and check if it worked. If so, then change your Kobo's DNS.

Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register