Mobileread
Reader for comics?
#1  MurkyMurlock 01-18-2021, 06:22 AM
Hi there!

I have been using a very basic Amazon Kindle for reading books and it suffices. I don't need any special. But recently I got into reading graphical novels, manga especially and I know there is a ton of them online, together with fanfics, etc. That made me wonder, is there a reader setup for comfortable reading comics? I would be interested in that but I am not sure how to look and where to look for it.

#2  ZodWallop 01-19-2021, 10:27 PM
I love my eink reader, but for comics, I either read on my Surface or my Samsung 12.2" tablet.

Manga being black and white is a different story. The Kobo Libra would likely make a nice manga reader, though storage is limited compared to a tablet and I'm not sure about reading stuff online.

#3  rowe 01-22-2021, 12:12 PM
An Onyx Boox Nova 2/3 is probably ideal for manga. Similar size to source and runs the best manga software e.g. Tachiyomi.

For graphic novels, 13" B&W devices like the Boox Max have been the best e-ink could offer. But 10" colour e-ink devices have just started appearing in China, so something better could be on the way fairly soon.

#4  ottdmk 01-26-2021, 12:52 AM
I use a reasonably priced 10" Lenovo tablet for reading comics. Works great. (Tab M10 FHD 2nd Edition.)

#5  rantanplan 01-26-2021, 03:21 AM
I'd also suggest getting an 8 or 10 inch tablet. Depending on your use cases, either get a cheap one like Amazon fire tablet or something more powerful lik a Samsung galaxy tab / iPad.

#6  Quoth 01-26-2021, 10:55 AM
Quote ottdmk
I use a reasonably priced 10" Lenovo tablet for reading comics. Works great. (Tab M10 FHD 2nd Edition.)
Yes, for colour anyway, my Lenovo 10" Tab (about €120) is best. Though comics do work on the 7.8" Likebook Mars. Configurable contrast. The Kobo Libra (7") is a shade too small and more awkward.

#7  ZodWallop 01-30-2021, 12:03 PM
Quote ottdmk
Lenovo seems to make the best cheap Android tablets. I've had a Lenovo Tab2 A10-70 for four or five years that is still as good as new. If it gave up the ghost suddenly, I'd likely replace it with the Tab M10.

For reading comics, I use my Surface, which has a 12" screen. The screen is about the same size or slightly larger than a standard US comic page. And its 3:2 screen ratio seems to fit a comic page better than an iPad's 4:3 or Android 10:16 (though Android seems to have the best comic readers for CBZ/CBR files, in my opinion).

#8  cm1 02-06-2021, 02:23 AM
Quote MurkyMurlock
Hi there!

I have been using a very basic Amazon Kindle for reading books and it suffices. I don't need any special. But recently I got into reading graphical novels, manga especially and I know there is a ton of them online, together with fanfics, etc. That made me wonder, is there a reader setup for comfortable reading comics? I would be interested in that but I am not sure how to look and where to look for it.
The Pocketbook Color might interest you

#9  rantanplan 02-08-2021, 08:30 AM
Quote cm1
The Pocketbook Color might interest you
I've tried it and it's too small for comics.

#10  rcentros 02-08-2021, 04:34 PM
Quote rantanplan
I've tried it and it's too small for comics.
Maybe the new (not yet released) 7.8" version will work better.

Next »  Last »  (1/2)
Today's Posts | Search this Thread | Login | Register